A POWYS man has been banned from driving for 20 months after being convicted of drink driving for the second time in his life. 

Kevin Davies, from Guilsfield, was driving from The Kings Head pub in the village to his home, about half a mile away, when he was pulled over by police and found to be more than twice the legal limit.

The 44-year-old pleaded guilty to one offence of drink driving when he appeared at Welshpool Magistrates’ Court on Tuesday, April 2.

Prosecutor Helen Tench said the Ford Transit Davies was driving was stopped just seconds after pulling out of the pub’s carpark late in the evening.


“Police were on patrol and saw a van leave the Kings Head carpark, with no lights on,” Mrs Tench said.

“They stopped the vehicle and could see a young girl in the middle seat and a female in the passenger seat. There was a strong smell of alcohol and the driver was slurring his words. He admitted he had been drinking.”

Mrs Tench said Davies had a previous drink driving offence on his record, but acknowledged it was more than 10 years old.

The reading provided by Davies to police was 79 micrograms of alcohol in his breath. The legal drink drive limit is 35 micrograms.

Acting for the labourer, of Fairview House, Guilsfield, Paul Inns said his client’s job was at risk.

“He had driven to the pub straight from work,” said Mr Inns.

“He was not in a good place at the time, as it was the anniversary of his father’s death. It was playing on his mind.

“He had only driven a short distance and he does apologise.

“He lives with his partner and children. He is a labourer and he has with him a letter from his employer.

“There will be difficulty in commuting to work and it is safe to say his job is in danger. There is a high risk of him losing his job.”

Mr Inns asked magistrates to offer Davies the chance to attend a drink driving rehabilitation course.

“He was offered it on the last occasion but the offence was in excess of 20 years ago,” Mr Inns said.

County Times:

“This wasn’t just slightly over, you were well over (the limit),” chair of the bench, Cynthia McVey, told Davies. “It was compounded by the fact you live just around the corner, you could have walked there.”

Davies will be banned for 20 months but can reduce this if he completes the rehabilitation course, which was offered to him.

He was also fined £550 and must pay a £220 surcharge, as well as £85 costs.