The owner of a lucrative business has been jailed for a year after he was so high on drugs that he couldn't remember driving double the speed limit in a police chase through a Powys town.

Daniel Meades, 38, ignored blue lights for around 10 minutes before he was eventually arrested at his ex-wife's house at 3.35am on February 22 "kicking out" at officers and being violent and aggressive.

At Swansea Crown Court, Meades was sentenced for dangerous driving in Ystradgynlais, failing to provide a specimen of breath, and four counts of criminal damage in Coelbren.

Judge Geraint Walters told the dad-of-three: "Frankly I don't know what possessed you on that night other than being heavily influenced by drugs.


"The reality here is the police chase when you were so high that you have no recollection of what happened but managed to double the speed limit plainly putting yourself and others at serious danger.

"This is a wake-up call. You're jeopardising everything; your job, your family, your relationships, or you'll end up with an even longer sentence. It's now or never. We need to sort the drug issue out."

Before the police chase, Meades was reported to 999 by a woman who described him as "manic and bouncing all over the place" after he broke the windows of her caravan and vehicle.

Meades then got into his Ford Transit van and drove towards three of her family members forcing them to jump out of the way, the court was told.

Shortly after, Meades pulled up at another property and was heard shouting in the street. Amy Jones later found that her vehicle and wooden fence was damaged by the van which cost her £1,300 to repair.

County Times: Daniel Meades, 38, was jailed for 12 months for dangerous driving and criminal damage.Daniel Meades, 38, was jailed for 12 months for dangerous driving and criminal damage. (Image: Dyfed-Powys Police)

Prosecution barrister Caitlin Brazel said police received numerous reports from the public about a man "screaming his head off" during the early hours of the morning. A police chase began after Meades sped off towards Ystradgynlais.

Ms Brazel told the court that Meades deliberately ignored the rules of the road and placed people in danger by swerving towards three pedestrians, his driving was "dangerous, prolonged and persistent" at speeds "significantly" more than the limit, and his driving was "highly inappropriate" given the dark and wet road conditions.

Defence barrister David Singh told the judge that the events that night were the "unintended consequence" of Class A drug use which had contributed to the breakdown of his marriage.

"He has paid a heavy price," Mr Singh said. "He runs a lucrative business that he desperately wants to get back to. This has been a wake-up call for him.

"He has no recollection, sadly, of the incident. I would say the defendant not only recognises Class A drugs are a problem for him, but he would be prepared to work with probation. He wants to do everything he can to get off Class A drugs."

Meades, of Moorlands, Dyffryn Cellwen, Neath Port Talbot was given a two-month prison sentence for each of the four criminal damage offences and two months for failing to provide a breath sample at the police station which would run concurrently with his 12-month prison term for dangerous driving.

Meades must also take an extended retest, which is mandatory for people convicted of dangerous driving, after being disqualified for two-and-a-half months.

Judge Walters added: "The sooner he gets back to work, lawfully, the better".