THE family of a motorcyclist who suffered a suspected medical emergency while riding in Powys are desperately trying to track down the good Samaritan who helped save his life.

Paul Taylor, aged 65, was found unconscious and unresponsive on the side of the A470 near Builth Wells on Saturday afternoon, November 25.

There was no evidence of a collision and his family believe he must have suffered a medical episode while riding his blue Yamaha Tracer 900 GT bike.

Mr Taylor was airlifted to hospital in Cardiff by the Wales Air Ambulance and has no recollection of the incident – but his family are urging for help from the Powys public to help identify a motorist who stopped and administered CPR.

Daughter-in-law Rebecca Taylor insists the quick-thinking driver’s actions saved Mr Taylor’s life.



“The person that called it in and who was there on the side of the road remains anonymous,” Rebecca said.

“I’d like to walk up to the person, whoever they are, and shake their hand and give them a big hug and tell them how grateful we are to them for doing what they did.”

Mr Taylor, who is understood to be from the Worcestershire area, had ridden up to Powys to visit friends. Rebecca said he then travelled home on the A470 via Rhayader and Builth Wells and was heading towards Brecon when tragedy struck, at around 3pm.

He was found unconscious on the side of the road, between Llangoed Hall and a narrow bridge known as Lady Milford's Bridge, between Erwood and Llyswen.

“He was unconscious and unresponsive but this person did CPR and brought him back to life,” Rebecca added.

County Times:  Paul Taylor, pictured with son Marc and daughter-in-law Rebecca. Paul Taylor, pictured with son Marc and daughter-in-law Rebecca. (Image: Rebecca Taylor)

“He was airlifted to the main trauma centre in a Cardiff hospital, where he still is currently with a severe brain injury.

“As a family we’re just trying to put an appeal out for the person that stopped or any witnesses that might have seen something on Saturday.

“We’re not sure if my father-in-law was involved in an accident or suffered a medical incident while riding a motorcycle, but he was found unconscious at about 3.10pm by somebody in a camper van driving that road.

“I’ve been liaising with the police, who have been amazing, but they can’t provide any further information.

“There was no significant evidence of a high-speed crash, there’s not a single bruise or broken bone on him. There’s nothing to report other than the head injury, a broken rib and punctured lung, but that’s from the CPR.

County Times:  The incident involving Mr Taylor occurred on the A470 between Erwood and Llyswen, just outside Llangoed Hall. The incident involving Mr Taylor occurred on the A470 between Erwood and Llyswen, just outside Llangoed Hall. (Image: Google Street View)

“Whether he stopped, got disorientated and then passed out, we don’t know. If anyone was going along that road at that time and saw a man on a motorbike who looked out of sorts, we just want to piece together what happened.

“He’s awake now but can’t remember anything and is now really cognitively impaired, and the likelihood is he’ll never regain it.”

A Wales Air Ambulance spokesperson confirmed that a crew attended a medical emergency in the region on Saturday afternoon.

“Our Welshpool-based crew were allocated at 3.12pm and attended by air,” the charity said in a statement.

“They arrived at the scene at 3.42pm. Our involvement concluded at 6.03pm.”