TWO people became trapped in their vehicle and had to be rescued by firefighters following a crash just outside Builth Wells on Friday (November 18).

There were said to be three casualties in total in the incident, which involved a crash between two vehicles on the A470 bypass at Builth Road, just north of the town.

Mid and West Wales Fire and Rescue Service (MWWFRS) said crews had to cut away a section of the road’s barrier to gain access to one of the vehicles. 

The Welsh Ambulance Service said two casualties were taken to hospital.


“At 6.39pm on Friday, November 17, the Builth Wells, Llandrindod Wells and Rhayader crews were called to an incident on Builth Road, Builth Wells,” said a MWWFRS spokesperson.

“Crews responded to a road traffic collision involving two private motor vehicles and three casualties, two of the casualties were trapped inside one vehicle.

“Crews utilised cutting equipment, small tools and lighting to extricate the casualties who were put in the care of the ambulance service personnel also in attendance. 

“Crews were required to remove a section of the road’s barrier to gain access to the vehicle. Crews left the scene at 8.17pm.”

County Times: Get a six month online subscription for just £6

Dyfed-Powys Police said the road was reopened at around 10.30pm.

“Police attended a two vehicle road traffic collision at approximately 6.40pm on Friday, 17th November, on the A470 between Builth and Newbridge,” said a spokesperson.

“The road was closed to allow for officers, ambulance and fire and rescue services to safely handle the incident. Both vehicles were recovered and the road was re-opened at around 10.30pm.”

A Welsh Ambulance Service spokesperson said: “We were called at 6.39pm on Friday to reports of two-vehicle road traffic accident on the A470 at Builth Wells.

“We sent two emergency ambulances to the scene, where crews were supported by an operations manager.

“Advanced critical care support was delivered by the Emergency Medical Retrieval and Transfer Service in a Wales Air Ambulance charity car. Two people were taken to Hereford County Hospital.”