A BUSINESSMAN has been disqualified from driving after staff at a McDonald’s drive thru phoned police believing he was drunk.

Tee total Alfonce Ncube insisted he was not drunk as he does not drink and police found no alcohol in his system when they were called to Welshpool McDonald’s on October 24 last year. However, he was under the influence of cannabis and was arrested.

Welshpool Magistrates’ Court heard this week that Ncube, 31, takes cannabis oil tablets to help him sleep, and he admitted he took a risk by consuming the tablets and driving late at night.

Ncube, from the Birchgrove area of Swansea, admitted a charge of drug driving at court on Tuesday, April 4.

Ncube was driving an Audi A4 at the time and had called at the fast food restaurant, located on the Buttington Cross Enterprise Park. A reading showed there to be 4.2 micrograms of the Class B drug in his system – the legal amount for being able to drive is 2 micrograms.

Prosecutor Molly Rumsey said: “Police were notified by McDonald’s drive thru staff of the defendant; it was believed he was under the influence.

“Police attended and a positive cannabis test was provided.”

She said Ncube had no previous convictions.

Representing himself at the hearing, Ncube, of Llys Uchaf, Swansea, said: “I disagree. I stopped in McDonald’s, the staff told me I was drunk, but I told them I don’t drink.

“They told me to wait at the front, they said I had to wait for their machinery to work in order for my food to be ready.

County Times:

“A second colleague came over and said I was drunk. Again, I said I don’t drink. I do accept I was over the drug drive limit.

“I run a logistics company and struggle with sleep. I have had medication from the doctors but it makes me inactive in the morning, so I took cannabis oil tablets from a friend.

“I know I took a risk by driving late at night. I don’t smoke or drink, I only take the tablets.”

Ncube was banned from driving for 18 months, which prompted questioning from the defendant, who said he’d been advised by solicitors that his ban would only be 12 months.

Chair of the bench, Stephen Pembroke, told him: “It is quite clear you weren’t fit to drive as staff were so concerned they contacted the police. It was very dangerous of you to be driving.”

Ncube continued to remonstrate so the bench retired and the defendant was told he could leave.

He was also fined £500 and ordered to pay a £200 surcharge, as well as £85 costs.