Aberystwyth Town 5 Newtown 3

NEWTOWN’ tasted defeat in an eight goal derby thriller at Aberystwyth Town as the JD Welsh Premier season reached its climax on Friday night.

The hosts raced into a two goal lead before the Robins mounted a thrilling fightback to lead.

However the Seasiders rallied late on and snatched victory from the jaws of defeat to go into this weekend’s Welsh Cup final on a high.

The Seasiders led on 15 minutes with a dipping left wing cross from John Owen dipping under the bar with referee Bryn Markham-Jones ignoring appeals the ball had gone out of play.

Tom Owens tested Newtown goalkeeper Dave Jones before Newtown threatened for the first time with Callum Roberts’ free-kick coming back off the woodwork.

Newtown were being over run in midfield and it was no surprise when Declan Walker was released to double the lead after Ryan Kershaw lost possession on 39 minutes.

Newtown rallied with Nick Rushton denied by Mullock before reducing the arrears after dispossessing Damien Allen to cut inside and slot home.

Ethan Jones scuffed his lines in front of goal as Newtown started the second-half on top.

However soon Newtown were level with Rushton maintaining his impressive end of season form with a deflected shot beyond Mullock.

The comeback was complete on the hour with Kershaw curling a dipping shot beyond Mullock from the edge of the area.

Kershaw should have completed his brace moments later after being released by Neil Mitchell only to blaze over the bar.

Rushton could have also given his side a cushion when he was released by Jones only to be denied by the bar as Newtown continued to spurn chances.

Newtown would be made to pay for their lack of cutting edge as the home side regained dominance in the final stages.

Jones produced a superb save to deny Jack Rimmer on 76 minutes but Newtown failed to clear their lines with Ryan Wade heading home a cross from Joe Phillips.

Two minutes later Jones could only parry a long range shot from Phillips with Matthew Jones gobbling up the rebound.

The Robins were forced to go for broke in an attempt to save the game but were punished as the Seasiders broke and Wade completed his brace with five minutes remaining as Newtown signed off with defeat.

NEWTOWN: Jones, Williams, Denny, Sears, Roberts (Harries), Fletcher, Goodwin, Kershaw, Rushton, E Jones, Mitchell (Kenton). Subs: Perry, C Williams, Evans, Boundford.

Att - 260