IN 1905 a small group of Llandrindod’s most influential men decided to form a golf club on the top of the hill overlooking the lake.

The aspiring golfers called upon one of the country’s best golf course designers and six times Open Champion Harry Vardon to create the course.

Vardon was given the simplest of briefs: “Maximise the views from every tee and every green.”

Sculpted out of the natural contours of the land by men and horses equipped with pick, shovel, wheel barrows and horse drawn carts – no mighty earth moving machinery with which to change the face of nature – it remains today largely unchanged since its creation.

County Times: The official opening in 1907.The official opening in 1907.

Improved and lovingly cared for it offers the golfer the chance to play golf as it was meant to be played – on an immaculately prepared and presented piece of golfing heaven.


More than 100 years later the golf course stands testament to his vision and remains a course which has been dubbed “marvellous” by many guests over the years.

Perhaps best described as an ‘Upland Links’ course, it provides a true test for golfers of all abilities.

County Times: Caddymaster and caddies in 1909.Caddymaster and caddies in 1909.

Lush upland turf, on which the ball sits up invitingly, turf banks and natural hazards, with well protected true greens, are rated amongst the best in Wales.

The course offers the chance to play links type golf among the rolling hills.

The course and club hold a mirror to Llandrindod’s society over the past 100 years.

Not many people know that Lord Haigh, of World War I renown and a former Chancellor of the Exchequer, was once the club’s president.

County Times:

County Times: The views from the course.The views from the course.

The name Norton also stands proud at the Auto Palace in memory of club founder Tom Norton.

To remember that people of that stature were proud to be associated with the club reflects the way in which the town developed during its forgotten heyday.

Even a cursory glance at the club’s roll of honour illustrates how times have changed.

County Times: The original wooden clubhouse in 1920.The original wooden clubhouse in 1920.

Until about the mid 1960s, Lady Captains were always shown as ‘the wife of’ the husband, rather than the current fashion.

The wooden clubhouse supplied and constructed by the Wire Wove company, of Queen Victoria Street in London, withstood 70 years of severe weather until its demolition in 1974.

Upon closer inspection it was discovered the the building lacked foundations with architects instead resting the building on heavy wooden beams.

The club has not had everything its own way over the years with a long battle to bring electricity to the clubhouse coupled with a bizarre tale involving a bull.

In 1937 several ladies complained to the secretary that the bull belonging to the tenant of the Hall Farm had been loose on the road up to the club on several occasions and had caused them no little consternation.

Despite complaints the bull continued to escape with the matter only settled when the unpopular beast was sold by the farmer