NEWTOWN raised Welsh international Carrie Jones’ stunning second-half equaliser salvaged a vital point for relegation-threatened Bristol City in their 2-2 Women’s Super League draw with Aston Villa on Saturday.

Jordan Nobbs opened the scoring for the hosts inside 13 minutes at the Bescot Stadium, but her first league goal since March 2023 was cancelled out two minutes later by Amalie Thestrup.

The Robins, who entered the contest bottom of the WSL table and three points behind West Ham, fell behind when Adriana Leon restored the hosts’ lead at the hour mark, but Jones struck into the top corner with 15 minutes left against the run of play.

The early stages were dominated by the hosts and, after Shae Yanez had been forced into a really smart stop to deny Adriana Leon on the cutback, Villa got their breakthrough after 13 minutes.


An overhit Villa corner beat everyone in the area, but they worked it back to the edge of the area for Nobbs to fire home through a crowd of bodies.

It took just two minutes for the Robins to level things up though, as Emily Syme slipped a ball through to top goalscorer Thestrup who finished expertly with the outside of her right foot.

Jamie-Lee Napier saw an effort blocked and Kirsty Hanson blazed over from a tight angle in the remainder of a first half with clear chances hard to come by.

The second half started in a manner as frantic as the first, with Yanez forced to punch a cross from the right before Naomi Layzell produced an excellent block on the follow-up.

Seconds later, the City keeper was forced into a smart stop with her feet.

County Times:

Rachel Daly had an opportunity with 55 minutes on the clock but saw her header, under pressure from Layzell, comfortably saved by Yanez.

Two minutes later and the stopper would have to make another save, diving to her right to deny Kenza Dali’s effort from the edge of the area.

The Robins second-half resistance would be broken on the hour mark as Anna Patten’s cross from the right was turned back across the face of goal for Leon to finish from close range.

It was a lead that lasted just 15 minutes as Jones produced a moment of magic to level the scores once again as she found the top corner from 25 yards out.