NEWTOWN Football Club return to European football next month.

This will be the Latham Park club's fourth European adventure in three different competitions since their debut in the summer of 1996.

The club has played in the UEFA Cup twice and Europa League once - their last venture onto the continent in 2015 - which also represent's the club's most successful season in Europe.

The Europa League Conference first qualifying draw takes place on June 15 and whoever is paired with the Robins the tie is sure to evoke memories of Newtown's past adventures.

The County Times goes back in time to share Newtown's European heritage and the first days of when Latham Park rose to become a European football venue.

Skonto Riga

UEFA Cup, preliminary round, 1996-1997

Lost 7-1 on aggregate

Newtown v Skonto Riga. Picture: Newtown FC.

Newtown v Skonto Riga. Picture: Newtown FC.

THE first ever European match at Latham Park took place on July 17, 1996 under the management of Brian Coyne.

The club ended second in the League of Wales the previous season - seven points adrift of champions Barry Town.

Romilly Brown became the first ever Newtown player to score in Europe in a 4-1 defeat at the hands of Latvian's Skonto Riga.

Vitalijs Astafjevs and Valentins Lobanovs both scored twice for the visitors.

The Newtown line-up that night was Michael Barton in goal with Peter Wilding, Martin Evans, Colin Reynolds and Jason Evans in defence with a midfield of Richard Pike, Nigel Pryce and Keith Holmans and forward line of Mark Williams and Romilly Brown.

Justin Wickham and Mark Thomas also made appearances from the bench.

Astajefs also scored in the return leg with Konstantin Ivanovs and Alexandrs Jelisejevs goals completing a 3-0 win.

Marc Roberts, father of Newtown defender Callum Roberts, made his European debut for Newtown in the second-leg.

Wisla Krakow

UEFA Cup, preliminary round, 1998-1999

Lost 7-0 on aggregate

Stadion Miejski Wis?y, home of Wisla. Picture by Piotr Drabik

Stadion Miejski Wis?y, home of Wisla. Picture by Piotr Drabik

NEWTOWN celebrated their first draw in Europe in the summer of 1998 having repeated the feat of ending second in the League of Wales the previous season.

The visitors, Wisla Krakow of Poland, had been expected to run riot but instead Brian Coyne's men held out for a famous goalless draw on July 22, 1998.

Once again Michael Barton was the goalkeeper with Martin Evans, Aneurin Thomas, Mark Thomas and Colin Reynolds in defence.

Marc Roberts, Justin Wickham, Gareth Evans and Scott Ruscoe lined up in midfield with Jonathan Williams and Jason Yates in attack.

Paul Line had made a substitute appearance.

The second-leg had been a disaster for the Robins as Tomasz Kulawick and G Pater doubles and goals from Sunday Ibrahim, Grzegorz Kaliciak and Daniel Dubicki settled a 7-0 victory in Poland.

Manager Brian Coyne made one change from the first leg with Line starting ahead of Mark Thomas while Lee Davies, now at Bishop's Castle, made an appearance from the bench alongside Steve Clifford and Mark Comerford.


Europa League, first qualifying round, 2015-2016

Won 4-2 on aggregate

Jason Oswell celebrates his late winner against Valletta.

Jason Oswell celebrates his late winner against Valletta.

THE most famous night in Newtown Football Club's history took place on July 2, 2015 under the management of Chris Hughes.

Goals from Jason Oswell and Luke Boundford earned Newtown a 2-1 win at home to Maltese club Valletta.

Dave Jones was the goalkeeper with Craig Williams, Shane Sutton, Kieran Mills-Evans, Steff Edwards, Matty Hearsey, Tom Goodwin, Luke Boundford, Neil Mitchell, Matty Owen and Jason Oswell completing the starting line-up.

Gavin Cadwallader, James Price and Steff Evans also made appearances from the bench.

Newtown finished the job in the second leg with Oswell and Owen on target while Matty Cook saw red for the Robins in another 2-1 win.


Europa League, second qualifying round, 2015-2016

Lost 5-1 on aggregate

Newtown line-up in Copenhagen.

Newtown line-up in Copenhagen.

NEWTOWN'S reward was a meeting with Danish giants Copenhagen in the next round.

On July 16 the Robins welcomed the Danes to Latham Park and went down to a 2-0 defeat as Benjamin Verbic and Kasper Kusk struck.

Tom Goodwin netted a consolation in the second-leg as Newtown lost in the Danish capital by three goals to nil.

Marvin Pourie struck twice and Nicolai Jorgensen completed the scoring.