Newtown 0 Aberystwyth Town 4

NEWTOWN crashed to a heavy final day defeat as derby rivals Aberystwyth Town stormed to victory at Latham Park.

With a place in the Europa League play-offs secured the home side were able to rest several players as manager Chris Hughes rang the changes while Aberystwyth arrived determined to end a dismal campaign on a high.

Newtown began the brighter of the two mid Wales sides and dominated the opening 20 minutes.

However chances were scarce with Jamie Breese's deflected shot from close range the closest the home side got to breaching the Aberystwyth goal.

Aberystwyth's opening goal of the afternoon arrived against the run of play on 22 minutes with Owain Jones capitalising on a poor defensive header from James O'Neill which left goalkeeper Kham Steventon in no man's land as he brought down the visiting forward on the edge of the area.

However referee Ben Williams pointed to the penalty spot with Steventon punished with a yellow card before being sent the wrong way from the resulting kick by Mathew Jones.

Aberystwyth grew into the game and were unfortunate not to double their lead nine minutes later when Jonny Evans lifted a shot over Steventon from the edge of the area only to be denied by the crossbar for Kieran Mills-Evans to clear his lines.

Two goals in four minutes at the start of the second-half proved the undoing of the Robins as Aberystwyth came out of the traps in style.

Evans was not to be denied when he raced onto a throughball from Jamie Veale to slot past Steventon on 50 minutes.

Just four minutes later Owain Jones settled the outcome of the game when he capitalised on a defensive mix-up between Neil Mitchell and Mills-Evans to convert.

Steventon produced a smart save to deny Jones his second on the hour after man of the match Evans broke on the right to deliver a low cross.

Newtown enjoyed their best spell of the game soon after with Tyrone Ofori and Nick Rushton linking on the edge of the area only for the latter to be denied by Aberystwyth goalkeeper Connor Roberts.

Ofori was involved again on 67 minutes with his low right wing cross met by Callum Roberts on the near post only for his shot to rattle the bar.

Newtown continued to press and young substitute Rhys Hesden came close after racing onto Jake Phillips' throughball only to lift his shot over the bar from a tight angle.

Youngsters Dylan Downs and Tom Davies were given minutes to impress alongside Hesden and the trio certainly were not overawed.

However Aberystwyth regained their dominance with Steventon forced into a double save to deny Owain Jones before completing their tally with a fourth with five minutes remaining.

The Seasiders broke from midfield before Louis Bradford's decisive throughball from the right saw Harry Franklin peel away and slot past Steventon to complete a dominant victory for the Seasiders.

Newtown: Steventon, Phillips, McAllister, Mills-Evans, O'Neill, Mitchell (Downs 73), Rushton, Breese (Hesden 60), Ofori, Edwards (A Jones 73), Roberts. Subs: D Jones, Evans, Fletcher, Mwandwe.

Aberystwyth Town: Roberts, Bradford, Jenkins, Kearney (Saunders 90), Franklin, M Jones, Veale, Davies (Ricketts 90), Evans (Reed 85), O Jones (Owen 79), Thorn. Subs: Pennock, Horwood, Rimmer.