Newtown 1 Flint Town Utd 0

JORDAN Evans maintained his rich vein of form with the only goal as Newtown saw off a physical Flint Town United at Latham Park.

In a tightly contested encounter the former Wrexham starlet struck early in the second-half and despite a late push from the Deesiders the Robins held firm for victory.

The tone of the match was set early on with a number of rash challenges from the visitors breaking up play.

The first chance of the game did not arrive until the 20th minute when Lufimpa Mwandwe skilfully beat Ben Maher only for Jon Rushton to turn his shot around the post.

Mwandwe was on the receiving end of some rough treatment from the visitors throughout the night and on 34 minutes was scythed down by Ross Weaver who somehow managed to avoid a red card.

The second-half was only seven minutes old when the in-form Evans struck from close range to finally break the deadlock.

However chances continued to be sparse with the match disrupted by a succession of fouls.

Tyrone Ofori headed Alex Fletcher's free-kick inches wide of the post before Fletcher released Mwandwe who was denied by the advancing Rushton as Newtown looked to double their lead.

Flint enjoyed their best spell of the game as Maher's drilled effort from 30 yards went just over the bar with 20 minutes remaining.

Moments later Maher hauled down Mwandwe and was fortunate to receive just a caution.

Evans' low right wing cross was scuffed into the hands of Rushton by Mwandwe in Newtown's final chance of the game.

Flint laid siege in the final stages but Newtown held firm for another three points in their battle for seventh place and a place in the play-offs

NEWTOWN: Jones, Mills-Evans, Evans (Edwards 87), Davies (Rushton 46), Williams, Ofori (Breese 72), Hughes, Sutton, Fletcher, Mwandwe (Phillips 90), Roberts. Subs: Steventon, O'Neill, Downs. 

FLINT: Rushton, Hart, Nash, Foulkes, Amis, Jones, Weaver (Blackwell-Jones 84), Gumbs, Weir (Bratley 46), Maher, Hampson. Subs: Woods, Edwards, Beattie Syers-Newton.