Newtown 4 Cardiff Metropolitan 1

NEWTOWN made light work of Cardiff Metropolitan to maintain their impressive form since the JD Cymru Premier season restart.

Two goals apiece from the inform Tyrone Ofori and Jordan Evans saw the Robins prevail and maintain their push for a top six finish while the Archers left Latham Park soundly beaten.

It has been a strange season for Newtown who must wish they could restart their entire campaign given their excellent form since the lifting of restrictions earlier this month.

Newtown enjoyed a dream start with James Davies leading a left wing move and linking with Jake Kelly and Evans before delivering a low cross for Ofori to turn home on the near post after just four minutes.

Met looked to get back in the game and enjoyed a spell of pressure and on 19 minutes a low right wing cross from Lewis Rees needed Shane Sutton and Kieran Mills-Evans' intervention.

However three minutes later the capital side were level with a dangerous left wing free-kick from Elliot Evans headed home by Bradley Woolridge under pressure from Newtown goalkeeper Dave Jones.

Five minutes later Jones was called into action to deny Dylan Rees whose headed effort from another Evans cross from the left was parried by the Newtown No1 for Sutton to clear as the hosts survived a let off.

Within seconds the Robins regained their lead with Ofori completing his double with a looping header from Lufimpa Mwandwe's right wing cross.

Newtown lost Sutton to injury soon after but James O'Neill slotted in alongside Mills-Evans and kept Met at bay until the final seconds of the half when Rees' low drive was parried by Jones with Newtown surviving after a goalmouth melee.

Evans dragged wide in the opening chance of the second-half.

On 56 minutes Evans gave Newtown a deserved two goal cushion with a 20 yard free-kick curled into the top right hand corner.

Mwandwe forced Met goalkeeper Will Lang into action as Newtown continued to dictate the game.

It was all over on 68 minutes when Evans dispossessed Emlyn Lewis on the edge of the area and fired past substitute goalkeeper Alex Lang who had only replaced the injured Fuller seconds earlier.

With the points secured the home bench rang the changes but did not disrupt their dominance as the Robins continued to press.

Mills-Evans glanced a headed effort wide from Evans' right wing corner with 12 minutes remaining.

A muted Met display ended Elliot Evans wriggling his way through the Newtown defence only for his weak shot to be smothered by Jones as Newtown celebrated an emphatic victory.

NEWTOWN: Jones, Kelly, Mills-Evans, Evans, Williams, Ofori, Hughes. Sutton, Fletcher, Mwandwe. Subs; Steventon, Phillips, McAllister, O'Neill, Breese, Downs, Letford.

CARDIFF MET: Fuller, Rees, McCarthy, Woolridge, Lewis, E Evans, Corsby, Owen, Morgan, Price, Rees. Subs: Lang, Thomas, J Evans, Warman, Chubb, Davies.