Barry Town United 0 Newtown 0

NEWTOWN returned from south Wales with a hard fought point following a goalless stalemate at Barry Town United.

The match was not one for the purist with neither side able to put their stamp on a largely forgettable game at Jenner Park.

Nick Rushton fired straight at home goalkeeper Mike Lewis inside the opening few minutes as Newtown started the brighter.

At the other end Evan Press' headed effort forced Newtown No1 Dave Jones into a smart save as Barry came close on 12 minutes.

Chances were at a premium during a tightly contested half with neither side able to get on top.

However on 33 minutes the home side came close to breaking the deadlock with Nathan Jarvis rattling the bar from the edge of the area.

Newtown ended the first-half on top but failed to penetrate the home rearguard as the half ended goalless.

Newtown had strong appeals for a penalty rejected six minutes into the second-half when George Hughes was bundled over in the area by Luke Cooper.

However referee Cheryl Foster gave the Barry captain the benefit of doubt.

The second-half continued to be a more open affair with Rushton side footing wide before Barry went close at the other end when Chris Hugh's low left wing cross was agonisingly missed on the front post by Kayne McLaggon.

Neil Mitchell tested Lewis on the hour as both sides continued to probe.

McLaggon had the best chance of the game on 68 minutes when he wrong footed Kieran Mils-Evans but his weak shot was turned away by Jones.

With six minutes remaining another pivotal moment in the match occurred when Lewis came racing out of his area and appeared to handle outside the area before clearing.

However once again Foster gave the home side the benefit of doubt and Lewis escaped punishment.

Neither side could make the breakthrough in the remnants of the match which petered out and ended in a stalemate.

BARRY: Lewis, Cummings, Cooper, McDonald, Hugh, Wharton, Bowen, Press, Cotterall, McLaggon, Jarvis. Subs: Gould, Abbruzzese, Sainty, George, Hutson.

NEWTOWN: Jones, McAllister, C Williams, Mills-Evans, O'Neill, Mitchell, Rushton, Edwards, Evans, J Davies, Hughes. Subs: Breese, Ofori, Kelly, M Williams, Steventon, T Davies