Newtown 1 Barry Town Utd 1

NEWTOWN were denied victory in the cruellest manner as Kayne McLaggon's last gasp penalty rescued a point for Barry Town United at Latham Park this afternoon.

McLaggon's 50th goal for the visitors was just reward in an even encounter but its manner was harsh on a Newtown side who had looked destined to celebrate three hard earned points.

The Robins began brightly and almost opened the scoring inside the opening five minutes only for Nick Rushton to be denied by the woodwork.

However it was the South Walians who came to dominate the first-half proceedings with ex-Wales international David Cotterill seemingly setting himself the target of scoring from long range with a number of pot shots sailing over the bar.

Cotterill's 26th minute free-kick was also glanced wide by Curtis Jemmett-Hutson as Barry continued to enjoy the lions share of possession.

Newtown weathered the storm with a staunch defensive display and came into the match with James Davies latching onto George Hughes' throughball only to be denied by Barry goalkeeper Mike Lewis.

Frustrations boiled over with Mickey George, McLaggon and Luke Cooper all earning themselves wholly avoidable cautions for dissent while referee David Morgan also cautioned the home side's Hughes, Sean McAllister and James O'Neill.

Both sides had chances to break the deadlock near the end of the half with McAllister denied by Lewis while at the other end home goalkeeper Lewis did well to deny Jordan Cotterall.

The second-half saw Newtown much improved with Rushton going close early on.

Barry also carved early openings with McLaggon heading straight at Jones who also did well to save another drive from Jordan Cotterall.

The home side led when a long defensive clearance caught substitute Callum Sainty napping and Davies wriggled free to fire past a stranded Lewis.

Newtown enjoyed their best spell of the game with Davies' low shot forcing Lewis into action before the Barry No1 fumbled Jake Kelly's free-kick under pressure from the ex-Cefn Druids striker with the loose ball landing just wide of the goal.

David Cotterall resumed his mission to lob Jones with seven minutes remaining but a back pedalling Jones was grateful to see the 35 yard shot dip over the bar.

Newtown looked to put the game to bed with Neil Mitchell and Rushton breaking through only to be denied by last ditch defending while Kieran Mills-Evans also headed over the bar from Craig Williams' right wing corner.

Barry managed one final attack deep into stoppage time when Evan Press burst into the home area and McAllister clumsily brought him down.

McLaggon's penalty was saved by Jones but he was on hand to steer home the rebound and salvage his side a last gasp point.


Jones, Phillips, Kelly, McAllister, Mills-Evans, O'Neill, Mitchell, Rushton (Ofori 90), J Davies (Breese 85), 19 Williams, Hughes. Subs: Steventon, Evans, T Davies, Edwards

Barry Town Utd

Lewis, Hugh, Cooper, McLaggon, Jarvis, J Cotterill, D Cotterill, Jemmett-Hutson (Abbruzzese 76), McDonald (Sainty 46), George (Patten 76), Press. Subs: Allen.