Newtown 2 Caernarfon Town 3

NEWTOWN led twice only to contrive to lose at the hands of Caernarfon Town at Latham Park tonight.

The match was played behind closed doors which made for an almost eerie atmosphere as football returned to mid Wales' premier ground for the first time in six months.

Much has changed in that time with the Robins including four summer signings in their starting-up.

One such signing enjoyed a home debut to remember with ex-Llanfair United James Davies netting twice for the Robins.

However Davies would still end up on the losing side as Caernarfon Town, managed by Davies' ex-manager during a spell at Cefn Druids, hit back twice before snatching the most unlikely of victories.

County Times:

James Davies opens the scoring for Newtown. Picture by Phil Blagg Photography.

Without the semblance of a match day atmosphere the opening exchanges proved a rather tepid as both sides showed signs of a six month lay off from competitive football.

Newtown looked the most threatening with Jordan Evans influential on the right and linking well with Nick Rushton in stretching the Caernarfon defence.

Darren Thomas was his usual busy self for the visitors and forced Kieran Mills-Evans to deflect his shot over the bar in the game's first real opening after 25 minutes.

Three minutes later and the home side led after a dangerous corner from Evans failed to be cleared with Davies pouncing to head past Josh Tibbetts from close range.

Caernarfon weathered the storm and toward the end of the half began to build their own momentum.

County Times:

Ryan Edwards in action for Newtown. Picture by Phil Blagg Photography.

Paulo Mendes' stinging strike forced Jones to tip over the bar and Newtown failed to heed the warning with Mendes spectacularly crashing home Gruffydd John's cross into the box on the stroke of half-time.

Newtown hit the ground running after the break with Davies forcing Tibbetts to save at his feet in the opening seconds.

Davies was not to be denied and broke to loft a shot over the advancing Caernarfon goalkeeper to celebrate his second of the match on 49 minutes.

Rushton steered a headed effort onto the foot of the post five minutes later and almost instantly the hosts were punished as Sion Bradley rifled into the top corner from 12 yards.

It was game on at Latham Park as Caernarfon came to enjoy their best spell of the game.

County Times:

Jake Kelly in action for Newtown. Picture by Phil Blagg Photography.

Having weathered their own storm the home side began to press for a third with Jake Phillips and Jack Kelly stretching the Caernarfon defence while the introduction of veteran Matty Williams gave the Robins further threat.

Newtown enjoyed the lions share of possession and sent some dangerous crosses across the face of the Canaries' goal while a dipping left wing cross from Kelly struck the bar.

Caernarfon chances were limited but with seven minutes remaining Noah Edwards cut in from the right and drilled a low shot which Jones could only get a hand to as it nestled in the far corner of the net as the north Wales side led for the first time

Newtown laid siege but could not find a way through a packed Caernarfon defence which stood firm to celebrate a hard-fought three points and leave the Robins still seeking their first of the campaign.

County Times:

Latham Park ahead of Newtown's first league match in six months. Picture by Phil Blagg Photography.


Jones, Phillips, Kelly, McAllister (O'Neill 80), Mills-Evans, Mitchell, Rushton, Evans, J Davies (M Williams 64), Edwards, Hughes. Subs: Steventon, T Davies, C Williams.

Caernarfon Town

Tibbetts, J Williams, John, Augustin, Bradley (C Jones 76), Mendes, Hayes, Thomas (S Jones 82), Brookwell, Edwards, R Williams. Subs: French, C Williams, T Williams, Hamilton.