Newtown 1 Penybont 1

NEWTOWN'S unbeaten start to the JD Cymru season continued with a draw at home to Penybont on Monday.

The Robins went into the game on a high following their first win of the season at Carmarthen Town on Friday while new boys Penybont arrived seeking their first points of the campaign.

The South Walian side began brightly in baking conditions at Latham Parl.

Kane Owen tested home goalkeeper Dave Jones before Luke Borelli once again put the Newtown No1 to work.

Borelli also headed over as the Bridgend club dictated early on.

The visitors stretched their hosts at every opportunity with the Robins taking their time to grow into the game.

On 21 minutes Lufimpa Mwandwe's half volley parried by goalkeeper Rhys Wilson only for Nick Rushton to balloon the loose ball over the bar.

Moments later Alex Fletcher lashed over the bar from distance with the Robins unable to penetrate a well drilled Penybont defence.

Newtown hit the ground running after the break and it was no surprise when pressure yielded a breakthrough with Mwandwe slotting past Wilson after 48 minutes.

However Penybont continued to take the game to Newtown with Borelli denied by the woodwork before Curtis Jemmett-Hudson blazed over.

Newtown came close to second with 20 minutes remaining only for Williams to curl his 20 yard free-kick into the side netting.

Penybont equalised soon after with Dan Griffiths heading home on the far post after Town failed to clear Owen's left wing cross.

Newtown had chances to win and with seven minutes remaining Mwandwe went on a jinking run before squaring for Rushton whose shot saved by Wilson.

Moments later Mwandwe's right wing cross headed back on the far post by Rushton only for Sam Phillips to head over from six yards as Penybont held out to celebrate their first ever top flight point.

NEWTOWN: Jones, McAllister (Denny 80), Mills, Evans, Rushton, Sheridan (Kenton 73), Mwandwe, Williams, Flint (Phillips 45), Fletcher, Kelly, Barnes. Subs: Steventon, Mitchell, Harry, Thorn.