Berriew 3 Llanrhaeadr 3 (AET

Berriew won (3-0 on pens)

BERRIEW lifted the Central Wales Cup for the first time in their history with a thrilling final victory over Llanrhaeadr at Caersws on Saturday.

The sides met in their second final in four days and it was Montgomeryshire Cup winners Llanrhaeadr who enjoyed a dream start when Matthew Jones' cross shot deceived goalkeeper Harry Wilkinson.

Berriew looked to respond with Charlie Humphreys and Richard Davies going close only for Llanrhaeadr to double their lead with a close range strike from Tom Evans on 27 minutes.

Berriew reduced the arrears five minutes later with Davies prodding home at the second attempt and ensured the final remained evenly poised.

The Rhiewsiders carried the initiative into the second-half and following sustained pressure were back on terms with Davies' looping header over goalkeeper Connor Lee.

Moments later and Berriew led for the first time with Joe Haycock's throughball releasing Davies who slid a shot onto the post with Haycock following up to net.

Llanrhaeadr laid siege in the final stages and the bombardment finally yielded rewarded with Evans completing his brace with the last kick of the game to force extra-time.

A tense extra-time included no further goals to sentence the final to penalties.

Berriew held their nerve from the spot and as Llanrhaeadr missed three penalties it was left to captain Craig Pearce to convert the decisive kick and write a new chapter in club history.

Berrew manager Dave Jones said: "I am delighted that we have won the Central Wales Cup for the first time in the clubs history am proud of the players both for their performance on Saturday and for how they have played over the whole season.

"It is a fantastic achievement to win the cup after many years of trying, especially for those people behind the scenes on the committee who work so hard year in and year out to make the club successful’

‘Both finals were exciting games and credit to Llanrhaeadr who have also had an excellent season.

"It did not look like it was going to be our day after finding ourselves two goals down early on before fighting back brilliantly in the second-half and holding our nerve from the penalty spot to win the shoot-out."