Connahs QN 0 TNS 2

TNS took a big step toward retaining the title by returning to the JD Welsh Premier summit with a convincing win at rivals Connahs Quay Nomads on Saturday evening.

The match had been billed as a title decider with Nomads riding high on confidence following a six game unbeaten run.

However the Deesiders disappointed with a jaded display as TNS dictated the game from the opening whistle and now look on course for their customary league and Welsh Cup double.

It was almost a perfect start for Nomads who came close through Andy Owens’ attempted header from six yards out which was saved by goalkeeper Paul Harrison.

It proved a rare opening for the hosts with the Saints go close at the other end of the pitch in the fifth minute when Chris Marriott’s cross was flicked on by Jamie Mullan to find Danny Redmond who fired over the bar.

The deadlock was broken on 14 minutes when Mullan set the ball back to Redmond who played a well timed through ball for Edwards to blast into the roof of the net.

Nomads went close just before the half hour mark when Michael Bakare crossed towards George Horan who rose above Blaine Hudson and headed just wide of Harrison’s right hand post.

The hosts began the second half well, coming close twice through a Rob Hughes free-kick and Michael Wilde’s blocked effort.

Much of the second-half proved a scrappy affair with the Nomads direct approach failing to trouble TNS.

TNS doubled their lead in the 72nd minute when Mullan broke through and struck towards goal only for the ball to land at Ryan Brobbel’s feet on the edge of the six yard box who made no mistake.

Nomads' faint hopes of a comeback ended soon after when ex-TNS star Mike Wilde deservedly saw red for a reckless challenge on Jon Routledge as the Saints celebrated a potentially decisive victory in their pursuit of the title.

TNS: Harrison, Lewis, Hudson, Bodenham, Marriott, Holland (Draper 79), Routledge, Redmond, Edwards (Cieslewicz 84), Mullan, Brobbel. Subs: Nembhard, Whitehouse, Ebbe, Dutton.

Att - 428