COBRA staged a second-half fightback to complete a 22-12 win at home to Wrexham and extend their lead at the top of the North Wales League Two table.

The Meifod side led when flanker Lee Hughes powered over for the opening try of the top of the table clash with fly-half Will Worthington adding the extras.

However it was the visitors who were galvanised with Ed Evans driving over for a try before Bailey Rae crossed the whitewash with both converted by Sam Rogers.

Worthington reduced the arrears before the break with a penalty and maintained his fine form with a try early in the second-half to restore COBRA’S lead

The match remained in the balance until the final stages when centre Matthew Jones capitalised on a tiring Wrexham defence to cross for a try with Worthington converting.

Newtown maintained their own pursuit of honours with a thumping 40-7 victory at home to Bangor.

The North Wales side arrived at the Recreation Ground without a recognised front row which meant the match was played out with uncontested scrums.

Newtown had to be patient for the breakthrough before Jac Benyon-Thomas and Twm Jones crossed for tries just before the break, both converted by Dewi Bowen.

It was all Newtown after the break with Junior Dean racing onto a loose ball to cross for a try before a penalty try sealed the home side’s bonus point.

Twm Jones stepped up with two strong runs to cross twice more and complete his hat-trick with Bowen adding two further conversions to seal a richly deserved home win.

Meanwhile Welshpool tasted a heavy 43-5 defeat at home to Dolgellau.

Scrum-half Lewis Jones danced his way over the whitewash to give Dolgellau the lead with wing Jake Hinge converting and soon added a penalty to his tally.

Welshpool dominated much of the remainder of the first-half and reduced the arrears with a try from centre Harry Davies.

However Dolgellau recovered and pulled away with a try from full-back Rob Pugh at the end of the half before No8 Marius Jones crossed at the start of the second-half, converted by Hinge.

Once again Welshpool enjoyed possession and territory only to be denied by the dogged Dolgellau defence.

Dolgellau rode out the storm and provided a sting to their tail with Dafydd Ellis, Marius Jones and Hinge crossing for last gasp tries with the latter adding the extras.