COBRA flexed their muscles with a thumping 48-10 win at home to struggling Abergele to maintain their North Wales League Two title bid.

The hosts started with a bang with No8 Jack Jukes feeding full-back Lloyd Mayor to cross for a try.

COBRA pulled away with a quickfire brace of tries from wing Twm Roberts with fly-half Rhodri Jones opening his account with a conversion.

Jukes added a fourth try after a strong run on half an hour with Jones adding the extras before centre Richard Jones went over the whitewash on the stroke of half-time.

The back row of Lee Hughes and Jukes combined to release Chris Morris to cross for a sixth try shortly after the break.

Abergele reduced the arrears with a try from Josh Clarke but COBRA soon responded with prop Hywel Jones crashing over following a driving line-out.

Clarke crossed for a second try for the visitors but COBRA had the final say with a last gasp penalty try.

Newtown continue to set the pace at the top of the table following a a 30-15 victory over Colwyn Bay.

Bay’s failure to bring a recognised front row meant uncontested scrums with the North Wales side capitalising with a try from wing Aeron Edwards with Ashley James converting and kicking a penalty to cancel a reply from the boot of Gareth Williams.

Josh Leach extended Bay’s lead with their second try early in the second-half before the hosts were galvanised into action with a try from Twm Jones, converted by Williams.

Williams kicked two penalties to edge ahead before pulling away with a second try from Jones before Callum Wall capitalised on a defensive fumble to complete Newtown’s comeback with Williams converting both tries to keep the home side top.

Elsewhere Llanidloes slipped to a frustrating 28-8 defeat at Nant Conwy IIs.

Carwyn Owen starred for the hosts with a brace of tries while Ifan Williams also crossed the whitewash with Gwion Ellis-Jones adding two conversions and three penalties while Llanidloes replied through Paul Jehu’s try and an Adam Price penalty.

Meanwhile Welshpool handed Wrexham a scare before slipping to a 25-24 defeat at Maesydre,

Pool raced ahead with tries from No8 Ryan Goodwin and flanker Joe Stranks before Wrexham hit back with a try from Edward Evans, converted by Jacob Hughes who also added a penalty.

However Pool had the final say of the half with Goodwin crossing for his second try with Tom Williams converting.

Wrexham rallied after the break and led with tries from Ollie Dodd and Owen Watson with Sam Rogers adding one conversion.

Pool had the chance to snatch victory when Rhys Williams crossed for a late try only for the conversion to be missed as Wrexham held out for the slenderest of victories.

Machynlleth proved a class above Rhos with a resounding 47-5 victory in division three.

Steffan Price starred with a hat-trick of tries while Ryan Blockley added a brace as the home side established a commanding interval lead.

Further tries from Will Taylor and captain Ifor Evans completed the try count while Kameron Simmonds-Sandy added six conversions.