Welshpool Town 1 Aberystwyth Town 3

WELSHPOOL Town caused Aberystwyth Town a scare before the JD Welsh Premier side hit back for victory in the Nathaniel MG Cup at Maesydre on Tuesday night.

Welshpool went into the first round tie as one of the wildcards for this season’s competition and hosted their old Mid Wales rivals for the first time since the Lilywhites relegation from the JD Welsh Premier in 2010.

Pool were dealt an early blow with striker Will Thomas pulling up injured in the warm up with teenager James Clewlow stepping up to lead the line.

As expected the Seasiders had majority of play but a solid home display ensured the visitors were restricted to half chances with Ryan Evans and Ian Macleod outstanding in the heart of defence.

Clewlow created the only chance of the half only to fire wide after breaching the Seasiders defence.

Remarkably the home side led three minutes into the second-half with a sensational 40 yard lob from Ricky Litchfield to send the home faithful into delight.

Aberystwyth were jolted into life and levelled almost immediately with Wes Baynes’ corner glanced on by Rio Ahmadi for Joe Phillips to tap home from close range.

Aberystwyth continued to press with Declan Walker firing just over with a 20 yard free-kick before veteran substitute Geoff Kellaway was picked out by Baynes to fire home.

Welshpool refused to capitulate and reminded Aberystwyth the tie far from over with Clewlow firing over from 20 yards before Sam Evans narrowly failed to met Litchfield’s free-kick.

However as the home side began to tire the Welsh Premier side turned the screw with Littleford twice denying Kellaway while Nashawn Blake headed wide before Alec Williams squared for Kellaway to complete his brace in injury-time.

Joint manager Neil Pryce praised his team, saying: “It was a a great night for the club, particular the youngsters in the squad and it was a memorable goal from Ricky.

“The lads did themselves justice.”

WELSHPOOL: Littleford, S Jones, Bowers (Jenkins 89), S Evans, MacLeod, R Evans, Mann, Litchfield, Clewlow (Morgan 70), Probert, Baker (J Jones 67). Subs: Thomas, Walsh

Att - 260