TNS suffered their heaviest European first leg defeat in 15 years on a night to forget in Macedonia.

The Welsh Premier champions arrived in Skopje with a new look side and massive underdogs against their eastern European hosts who won their national league by 35 points last season.

The Saints held their own for the opening quarter of an hour before Izair Emini broke the deadlock from close range.

TNS pressed for a route back into the game and on 35 minutes almost drew level with Dean Ebbe releasing Jon Routledge only to be denied by goalkeeper Konstin Zahov.

However just three minutes later Besart Ebraimi fired home from the edge of the area to leave the visitors with a mountain to climb in the second-half.

The Saints started the second-half with intent with Ryan Brobbel’s shot deflected wide in the opening moments.

The Saints were left deflated on 53 minutes with Ebraimi cutting inside from the left to lash home and kill the tie.

With TNS licking their wounds Macedonian international Ebraimi completed his hat-trick with a 20 yard free-kick.

Ebraimi added his fourth of the night on 65 minutes with his curling effort from the edge of the completing the Welsh champion’ 12 minute collapse.

The night could have got even worse for TNS with Mevlan Murati heading over and Mevlan Adili denied by the woodwork.

The final whistle brought thoughts to the second-leg at Park Hall in Oswestry on Tuesday with the tie a dead rubber.

However TNS will be keen to restore lost pride ahead of the Saints entry into the Europa League following their now all but confirmed UEFA Champions League exit.

Shjkendija: Zahov, Radeski, Bejtulai, Ibraimi (Shefiti 75), Alimi, Adili, Murati, Musliu, da Fonseca Salazar Junior, Emini (Selmani 83)Taipa (Zjnulai 80): Subs: Wakili, Cheshmedzhiev, Redjepi, Todorovski.

TNS: Harrison, Spender (Lewis 73),Routledge, Marriott, Cabango, Brobbel, Ebbe (Byrne 64), Holland, Redmond (Edwards 67), Hudson, Mullan. Subs: Draper, Cieslewicz, Nembhard, Roberts