Llanrhaeadr 2 Bangor City 3

Llanrhaeadr’s brave Welsh cup run came to an end following a thrilling clash with Bangor City at Tanllan.

The Spar Mid Wales League One side went into the game as massive underdogs but stunned the Welsh Premier giants by taking an eighth minute lead when player-manager Marc Griffiths was clattered in the area by City goalkeeper Connor Roberts with Iwan Matthews slotting home the resulting penalty.

However City levelled just five minutes later with new signing Yves Zama marking his debut by heading past home goalkeeper Connor Lee.

City led for the first time on half an hour with new signing Joel Bemba Leta slotting home a quality left wing cross from Laurence Wilson.

Llanrhaeadr continued to take the game to their illustrious visitors with the impressive Matthews cutting inside to force Roberts into action as the City defence hacked their lines clear.

Meanwhile Dale Evans also threatened with his goalbound shot deflected over the bar by Tom Kennedy as City held out to defend a slender lead at the break.

City doubled their lead seven minutes into the second-half with Leta completing his brace after the home defence was once again found wanting from Wilson’s cross.

Llanrhaeadr enjoyed their best spell of the game with defender Tom Bailey blazing over the bar from close range before Matthews broke only to fire onto the woodwork as City survived.

With 20 minutes remaining a succession of cautions culminated in a second for Wilson following a dangerous tackle with the visitors reduced to 10 men.

Leta headed narrowly over the bar before being denied by Lee who also produced a smart save to deny Brayden Shaw as the 10 men of Bangor looked to end the tie on a high.

However Llanrahaeadr were not done yet and with three minutes remaining the tie was back in the mix as substitute Dan Graham nodded home Matthews’ right wing cross to set up a thrilling climax.

Llanrhaeadr laid siege to the City goal but were reduced to 10 men themselves at the death with Dan Kelly earning his second caution as Bangor held out to celebrate a hard fought win in the Tanat Valley.

LLANRHAEADR: Lee, M Evans, Bailey, G Evans, Kelly, D Evans, T Evans, Vaughan, K Evans, Matthews, Griffiths. Subs: Edmunds, Wytton, Graham, Harris, Brayne