A Welshpool man who sent his former partner excessive and abusive messages and telephone calls has been fined and given an 18-month community order.

Kevin Kelleher, 43, admitted harassment without violence when he appeared at Welshpool Magistrates' Court on Tuesday, June 8.

The court heard that on October 19, the ex-partner asked Kelleher to stop contacting her after he had messaged her 60 times and made 26 calls to her number.

Helen Tench, prosecuting, said the victim's child was getting "stressed" by the "constant ringing and pinging" of her phone.

Then on November 8, the victim received 100 messages from Kelleher which included abusive language targeted towards her. The woman agreed to meet Kelleher face to face to tell him that the relationship was over.

The court heard that Kelleher sent the victim a further 112 messages and 26 phone calls. She told him that the relationship was over and that she did not want to see him again.

The victim attended a police station to show the messages and phonecalls. Police constable Hathaway said Kelleher told him that he was "heartbroken" and that he "loved the victim".

A statement from the victim read out in court said that she had been called "vile names" and subjected to "sexual comments".

She feared that he would "kick her door down" and that the excessive messages and phone calls have caused a "great deal of distress".

She said: "I am concerned that he may do this in another relationship."

Robert Hanratty, defending, said Kelleher does not agree with the victim's impact statement and that there are "two sides to every story".

Mr Hanratty told the court that seven months had passed and that Kelleher "does not hanker hope" on the relationship.

He added that Kelleher "regrets the incident" and made a "very frank" explanation to the police that he had an "overwhelming desire to contact this lady".

Magistrates' gave Kelleher, of Church Street, an 18-month community order which includes 20 rehabilitation days to address alcohol intake and relationship responsibilities. He was also ordered to pay £360 to the court.