A 70-year-old woman was winched to safety by helicopter and taken to hospital after suffering multiple injuries from falling 300 feet down a hillside in the Brecon Beacons.

Brecon Mountain Rescue and the Central Beacons Mountain Rescue Team were called out to provide emergency assistance to the pensioner who had fallen off the Neuadd ridge.

The teams were called to the scene by Dyfed-Powys Police on Good Friday (March 29) after the woman, who was part of an organised walking group visiting the area, fell from the ridge.

According to the team the injured woman was helped by a passing fell runner and hill walker who stayed with her until further assistance arrived.

County Times:

This also led to the call out of a Maritime and Coastguard helicopter who with the assistance of the mountain rescue team managed to airlift the woman away from the scene.


A spokesperson for the Brecon Mountain Rescue Team said: “The team were called to assist Central Beacons Mountain Rescue Team to a 70-year-old casualty who had fallen off the Neuadd ridge, falling approximately 150 metres sustaining multiple injuries. 

“The casualty was treated on scene by casualty carers and due to the injuries sustained, Maritime and Coastguard Agency Rescue 187 were called to assist, who did a fantastic winch saving us a lengthy carry out. 

“A big thank you to the fell runner who managed to get to the casualty and support them until help arrived. We wish the casualty all the best in their recovery.”

The Central Beacons Mountain Rescue Team added: "The team were contacted by Dyfed-Powys Police to go to the urgent assistance of 70-year-old walker, who was part of a well organised walking group visiting the area.

"The lady had slipped and fallen off the footpath along the Neuadd ridge, falling around 100m (300ft) and tumbled down the hillside.

"The lady was attended to by a team paramedic and casualty carers for a significant lower leg/ankle injury.

"To expedite getting the casualty to hospital for the necessary treatment as quickly as possible the assistance of the Maritime and Coastguard Agency Search and Rescue helicopter from St Athan was requested.

"The aircraft was tasked and played a crucial role in evacuating the casualty to hospital in Cardiff, saving what would have otherwise been a difficult and painful evacuation by stretcher on foot across rough ground and travelling to hospital by ambulance. Their assistance is very much appreciated by all involved.

"Also many thanks to a fellow hill walker who rendered immediate assistance to the lady and stayed with her throughout, until she was finally evacuated. Well done, sir."