Kaylea Titford’s school only spoke to her twice in the six months before she died, a report has said.

Kaylea died from infection after severe neglect from her parents who were both convicted of gross negligent manslaughter.

The review which looked into the previous two years that led up to her death found that she had previously been healthy and active.

In early 2019 Kaylea had 98 per cent school attendance at her school, previously identified as Newtown High School, and was “a valued member of her school community”.

They found that she received frequent support from a school-based Youth Intervention Service (YIS) worker after experiencing bullying on a social media platform.

But by the end of 2019 her attendance had dropped to 70.8 per cent and when the pandemic hit she was identified as a “vulnerable pupil”.

The report found that the school organised weekly well-being calls from senior leadership or well-being team members during the lockdown period.

READ MORE: Report published into death of Powys teen Kaylea Titford

READ MORE: Parents of obese Powys teen Kaylea Titford jailed

READ MORE: Police bodycam footage from Kaylea Titford's bedroom

Throughout April 2020 and July 2020, school staff telephoned her mother during term time and they found “although numerous references are made to Kaylea’s thoughts and feelings during these calls, there are only two recordings where it was explicit that Kaylea was spoken to directly.”

From September 3, 2020 to October 9, 2020, the school maintained daily contact with her mother, who described her as “suffering from various ailments” – including “a cold and diarrhoea”.

County Times: Digital subscription offer

According to the report a “phased return to school was planned” with her mother to start on the October 7, 2020.

They also found further calls took place in the days before Kaylea's death, with her mother reporting that she “was too unwell to be in school and was too anxious about coming to school”.

According to the report the school has since develop a new ‘eyes on’ policy meaning if a child has not been seen for two weeks “a heightened state of alert could elicit a visit to the family home or, if deemed necessary, raise a safeguarding concern with the relevant agency”.