A Powys farmer-turned football star etched his name in FA Cup history with the equalising goal for Newport against Manchester United on Sunday.

The strike came two years to the day since the former Bala Town striker scored against Newtown in the JD Cymru Premier - a league dubbed a Farmers' League by BBC presenter and ex-England international Gary Lineker during the fourth round tie.

Bruno Fernandes and Kobbie Mainoo – with his first United goal – struck inside the opening 13 minutes and safe passage into the fifth round seemed inevitable.

But Newport shook Rodney Parade to its rafters as Bryn Morris and Llangedwyn-raised former Llanfyllin High School student Evans levelled and made light of the 76 rungs between the two clubs on the football ladder.

United’s troubled season was in danger of sinking to a new low, but a last-16 date at Bristol City or Nottingham Forest was eventually secured as Antony scored for the first time since last April and Rasmus Hojlund sealed the win in injury time.

The first competitive game between the two clubs had been billed as the biggest in Newport’s history, with just over 9,000 fans crammed into modest surrounds for a tie expected to earn the League Two club around £400,000.

Newport named the same side which had accounted for Eastleigh in round three with the presence of former farmer Evans, their United-supporting 18-goal marksman, presenting the kind of charming storyline the FA Cup tends to supply.

Fernandes did his best to remove the romance after seven minutes by breaking the deadlock and County fans were left despairing again as Diogo Dalot motored down the right to set up 18-year-old Mainoo, who carefully caressed his finish into the bottom corner.

County Times:

Morris’ 36th-minute thunderbolt came out of the blue, chesting the ball down and unleashing an unstoppable shot from 25 yards.

County completed their comeback early in the second-half when Adam Lewis crossed and Evans to steal in front of Raphael Varane to level with an outstretched foot.

United re-took the lead after 68 minutes as Luke Shaw curled on to a post and Antony slotted the rebound before Hojlund extended his scoring streak by pouncing on a loose ball and drilling home late on.