Detectives are continuing to investigate a suspected murder more than five months after a woman's body was found in the River Severn near Llanidloes.

Dyfed-Powys Police said their enquiries are ongoing to establish what happened to Natalie Dean, who died after going camping with her partner in late May this year.

The 34-year-old's body was found in the river by police dog handlers almost 17 hours after she was reported missing on Saturday, May 27.

A 46-year-old man who was arrested on the day Natalie’s body was found was later released on bail and remains under investigation.

Police said they were not looking for anyone else in connection with the murder investigation, which has been named Operation Wenlock.

County Times:

The family of Ms Dean, who was from Ford, Shropshire, said they were distraught by the loss of their daughter and sister, adding that she was "missed by us all".

"We would like to thank everyone for their support at this horrific time," the family said in a statement earlier this year. "It has meant a lot to the whole family.

"We would now like time to grieve and would ask to be given privacy in which to do so.

"As a family, we encourage members of the public to support the police and contact if you have any information of relevance."


People living in Llanidloes spoke of their shock after the incident near the market town, with one person calling it "awful news - it's horrible".

Another resident, who did not want to be named, said: “It’s just shocking to know that things like this are going on. This is quite a quiet community. It makes you think, doesn’t it?"

Officers appealed to anyone who may have seen, or had dashcam footage of Natalie and a man in Llanidloes, or on the A470 between Llanidloes and Dolwen, on Saturday, May 27, or Sunday, May 28, to report it to police.

Dyfed-Powys Police later said a major incident public portal "had run its course, having been an important investigative tool, and was closed down once the flow of information had ceased".