Relatives of a family who saw the top floor of their Newtown home “totally destroyed” in a fire have said people’s generosity has been “incredible”.

The community rallied together to raise almost £2,000 for the family after their Garth Owen home went up in flames on Sunday, June 11, which started in a first-floor bedroom and caused smoke damage to the entire property.

A month since the fire, an online fundraising appeal has received generous donations from across the world and closer to home, including £500 donated from the Sws on the Loose charity event in Caersws.

The family, who are unable to return home because of the severity of the damage, have been told they will have to live in temporary accommodation for at least six months.


Kelly Southern, whose parents-in-law were affected by the fire, said that the family has been left “absolutely devastated”.

“Unfortunately, my mother and father-in-law's house set on fire. Totally destroying the whole of the upstairs, especially my niece’s bedroom.

“Due to the fire, the family are now being put into temporary accommodation, for at least six to nine months. My niece and nephew who live there both have special needs, so this change in routine will be incredibly tough for them and the family. As well as dealing with the fact there's been a big fire in their house.

“We are trying to gather as much funding as we can to help the family rebuild what they have lost. This would be clothes, toys, carpets etc.

“This has been absolutely devastating to us as a family, and we would really appreciate your support during this tough time.”

County Times: Sign up to the Powys County Times for £4 for 4 months

Kelly has since praised the community on the JustGiving crowdfunding website - - for their donations which will help the family through a difficult period in their lives.

“You are all amazing. Your generosity is incredible, and we cannot thank you all enough. If we could try and keep donations coming in that would be brilliant and would benefit the family so much. A million times thank you!”

Mid and West Wales Fire and Rescue Service said when crews from Newtown, Montgomery and Llanfair Caereinion arrived at the scene after receiving a 999 call at around 4.35pm on June 11, all the residents were outside the property and were all accounted for.