A woman whose boyfriend was chucked out of a Newtown pub after kicking off has been sentenced in court for punching him after becoming "frustrated and annoyed" by what had happened.

Treena Bryan-Jones, 51, was caught on CCTV pushing and punching Martyn Hamer in the chest after they had been ejected from The Buck Inn, High Street.

Bryan-Jones was given a conditional discharge after she pleaded guilty to one charge of assault by beating at Welshpool Magistrates' Court on February 7.

Her solicitor told the court that she’d been out drinking on September 17 last year "which is at the heart of the offence".

Helen Tench, prosecuting, said there had been an ongoing incident with Mr Hamer "kicking off" at door staff after being thrown out of the pub.

Bryan-Jones and her boyfriend were then seen walking across the road towards Iceland where a witness saw them arguing and Bryan-Jones "repeatedly punched Hamer at least three times and saw him flinch". The assault was caught on CCTV.


Police saw the pair get into a car and leave, and later arrested Bryan-Jones at her home in Pine Court, Newtown, on suspicion of assault. The court heard that Mr Hamer was "adamant" that he hadn't been assaulted, and was not supportive of the crown's case against his girlfriend.

Bryan-Jones told police during an interview that she didn't believe it was assault despite being shown CCTV footage. "I was shoving," she said.

Paul Inns, mitigating for Bryan-Jones, said: "In the pub initially it does seem to be chaotic. There are some statements part of which are more to do with Martyn’s behaviour. They'd been out drinking. Ms Bryan-Jones can’t recall the issues inside the pub. 

"As she left the pub she accepts pushing someone, possibly Martyn, and accepts outside of the pub that she wanted to go home and was frustrated and annoyed by what had happened. 

County Times:

"Parties were both sat near Iceland and she allegedly punched Martyn four or five times in the chest. It was a push or a prod to the stomach area. He concedes that he did step back but it was more 'come on let's go home, I’ve had enough'. No injures were caused to Martyn.

"Sadly, as a result of her arrest she lost her job because she couldn’t make work the next day because she was detained.

"She’d been out drinking, which is at the heart of the offence."

Magistrates gave Bryan-Jones a conditional discharge for 12 months, but decided not to award compensation to Mr Hamer because there were no injuries and the he was not supportive of the criminal proceedings.