NEWTOWN climbed to fourth in the JD Cymru Premier table with a 2-0 victory at 10 man Caernarfon Town tonight.

Both sides enjoyed spells of possession early on but clear chances were at a premium throughout the first-half at the Oval.

Danny Gossett fired wide after 20 minutes in a rare opening which failed to test goalkeeper Dave Jones while the Robins were restricted to long range efforts.

However on 34 minutes Lufimpa Mwandwe broke and showed Caernarfon defender Steve Evans a clean pair of heels before being hacked down with the ex-TNS defender shown a red card.

Chances for Newtown continued to be limited until the end of the half with Jordan Evans and Mwandwe firing over the bar from distance.

Evans tested the home goalkeeper early in the second-half and it was no surprise when the ex-Wrexham forward broke the deadlock from 20 yards on 52 minutes.

Sion Bradley looked to have levelled 10 minutes later only to be adjudged offside.

Caernarfon threw everything into attack but Newtown weathered the pressure made the game safe with five minutes remaining with Aaron Williams maintaining his rich form with his third goal in as many games.

Meanwhile Guilsfield maintained their unbeaten start to the JD Cymru North season with a resounding 5-1 win at Ruthin Town.

Jamie Hyne opened the scoring early before Robbie James headed home to double the Guils lead on 20 minutes.

Sam Litchfield added a third on 35 minutes before the hosts reduced the arrears through Daniel Cox on the stroke of half-time.

Adam Jenkins restored the Guils' three goal cushion early in the second-half before Hyne completed the scoring with his second of the night on the hour.

Elsewhere Llanrhaeadr found themselves on the wrong end of a 4-0 defeat in Broughton as Gresford Athletic prevailed.

The match was goalless until the last 20 minutes when Joe Chaplin broke the deadlock and the ex-Porthmadog player doubled the lead 10 minutes later.

Late goals from Dave McIntyre and Jordan MacCarter ensured the spoils and completed a harsh final score for the villagers.

Meanwhile Berriew made light work of Penparcau in the Ardal North East League.

A solitary Jack Williams strike separated the sides at the break before Joe Haycock and a second from Williams at the start of the second-half left the visitors with a mountain to climb at Talbot Field.

Richard Davies added a fourth with 10 minutes remaining before Williams completed his hat-trick and a 5-0 win for the Rhiewsiders to kick off the village show weekend.

Elsewhere Montgomery Town celebrated a 3-1 derby win at home to Churchstoke in the MMP-NL Mid Wales League East.

Lennon Brian opened the scoring for Monty only for Greg Pryce to level for the Marketmen early in the second-half but a Josh Griffiths strike and Tom Price own goal ensured the points stayed in the county town.

Meanwhile honours ended even in a 2-2 draw at Treflan as Llansantffraid and Waterloo Rovers shared the spoils.

Adam Gough gave the Welshpool side an early lead before ex-TNS winger Craig Williams levelled for the hosts on half-time.

Rovers regained their lead briefly at the start of the second-half with Luke Evans on target only for Williams to complete his double moments later.

Elsewhere Tregaron Turfs opened their ER Jenkins Cup campaign with a 6-2 home win over Aberaeron.

Daniel Owen led the scoring with a five goal haul with William Williams completing the scoring while the visitors replied through Chris Alldritt and Ryan Davies.