POWYS County Council has confirmed a Welsh construction company has been appointed to build a new special school in Newtown.

Wynne Construction has been awarded the contract to build the new replacement special school for Ysgol Cedewain.

Work on the £22m project, which will help the council deliver its ambitious Strategy for Transforming Education in Powys, will start in later in the year.

Cllr Phyl Davies, Cabinet Member for Education and Property, said the council looks forward to working with the company during the project.

He said: “We’re delighted that Wynne Construction have been appointed as the lead contractors to build the new school for Ysgol Cedewain.

“We are committed to transforming education in Powys for all our learners. Not only will these plans help us deliver our ambitious strategy but they are also key elements in transforming and improving additional learning needs provision for our vulnerable learners.

“The new school will also help us deliver our strategy for The Future of Special Educational Needs (SEN)/Additional Learning Needs (ALN) in Powys, which will guide the transformation of provision for learners with SEN/ALN.”

As part of the development, the new Ysgol Cedewain school will have purpose-built and state-of-the-art facilities including a hydrotherapy pool, sensory and physiotherapy rooms and garden as well as a community café.

The Denbighshire-based company will be required to provide substantial opportunities for local contractors, as well as deliver additional community benefits during the scheme’s construction.

As part of the project, the council will be submitting a full business case in the autumn to the Welsh Government’s 21st Century Schools Capital Programme, which will fund 75 per cent of the development. The remaining 25 per cent of the development will be funded by the council.

This development is the first construction project that has been tendered by the council that has used the National TOMs Framework.

Chris Wynne, managing director at Wynne Construction said the firm understands the importance of engaging with the community during this project.

He said: “We are very pleased to be working with Powys County Council on the prestigious project and such an important investment in the ALN provision for the region.

“Throughout the construction of the new school, we will look to leave a lasting legacy, by creating job and training opportunities, working with the local supply chain partners and engaging with the local community and key stakeholders.

“Providing a modern 21st Century school facility where young people can learn and develop in an inspirational environment that serves the local region is paramount and reinforces our commitment to delivering a legacy within Powys.

“We look forward to getting the project underway."