A woman with suspected spinal, hip and lower back injuries was airlifted to hospital after a fall while walking near a waterfall in the Brecon Beacons.

Central Beacons Mountain Rescue Team helped carry the injured walker on a stretcher during a "lengthy and arduous" journey to safety after the Coastguard search and rescue helicopter was unable to winch her due to the conditions near the Lower Clyn Gwyn waterfall on Saturday, April 3.

The mountain rescue team said on Facebook: "Midday today we were called out by Heddlu Dyfed-Powys Police to rescue a lady who’d fallen while walking in our waterfalls country of the Brecon Beacons.

"The lady’s companions were able to give a good description of their location when they called for help and we quickly established they were near the Lower Clyn Gwyn waterfall.

"Arriving on scene we began initial treatment for spinal, hip and lower back injury, our friends from Welsh Ambulance Services NHS Trust HART arrived and provided the medical treatment while we prepared ropes, stretcher and vacuum mattress for her evacuation.

"Given the injuries and the challenges of the stretcher evacuation we requested air support from our Maritime and Coastguard Agency friends. With R187 St Athan busy on another task, R936 Caernarfon joined us but because of the conditions were unable to winch. A lengthy and arduous stretcher carry then ensued and we carried the lady to the aircraft from where she was flown to hospital.

"We wish the lady a full and speedy recovery, we’d also like to thank a gentleman who we know only as “Chris”, an off-duty fire officer and his partner who interrupted their day out and helped from beginning to end. Also thanks to all passers by who offered help and waited patiently at the narrower sections of paths while we manoeuvred our stretcher in the best way possible for the lady’s injuries."

Brecon Mountain Rescue Team and HM Coastguard helicopter had also been out helping police officers search for a vulnerable missing person in the Pen y Fan area on Friday morning.

The person was later found near the roadside and taken to safety.