SCHOLARS and historians have never managed to unravel the mystery of the Llandinam Grotesque.

Many villagers do not know the tale of the curiosity which religious and academic leaders were mystified by at the Exhibition of Church Treasures Exhibition in Bangor in 1953.

Before them sat a 10 inch wooden block with three conjoined heads carved in a high relief.

Not only that the three heads shared only four eyes between them.

However none have ever been able to provide any satisfying answer as to the meaning of the strange carving, let alone why it was hung from a nail on the south wall of the southern aisle of Llandinam Church.

Closer expert attention revealed the carvings had originally been painted red and white.

While none know when the carving first appeared at the church or who created the haunting image evidence suggests it had long been further mutilated by someone who had sought to erase is features though had been unsuccessful.

Scholars suspected it had once formed part of a roof though this remains unproven.

Historians believe the grotesque, as it became known, dates as far back as the 16th century and perhaps linked to John Winchomble of Berkshire whose family herald had been a similar three headed man.

Others believe the grotesque made its way to mid Wales from Venice and a piece of Renaissance art.

However the mystery of the Llandinam Grotesque continues to this day.