AN ENGLISH Defence League member racially abused staff at Hereford hospital and refused to be treated by foreigners, a court has heard.

Damien Jonathan Mills admitted the offence when he appeared before magistrates in Hereford on September 16.

Prosecutor Ralph Robyns Landricombe said Mills had been admitted to the resus area of Hereford County Hospital's accident and emergency department with an injury to his ear and his lip - sustained after he was attacked by a dog - at 5.30pm on July 14.

An Indian doctor was sent to see the 33-year-old, but Mills swore at her and told her not to touch him, telling her he did not want to be treated by a foreigner and would only be treated by a white person.

The doctor left Mills as other staff in the department intervened, and the police were called.

But shortly afterwards, he approached the doctor as she was carrying out other tasks, asking her when he would be seen in an exchange which she said left her feeling threatened and distressed.

He then approached the reception, where he told the department's nurse-in-charge that he did not want to be seen by a foreigner and that black people should not be in the country.

Mills was arrested and taken into custody, where he became verbally abusive towards police, calling one officer a 'slag', 'pig', and a 'prostitute', and claiming he was going to burn the police station down.

In interview, Mills said he was a member of the English Defence League, telling police he would only be treated by a white doctor and that he did not care how the doctor had felt.

He said he had drunk a bottle of brandy and taken 20 Valium pills and that he liked to cause trouble.

Philip Cornell, for Mills, of Wellington Road, Llandrindod Wells, said his behaviour had been totally reckless.

"He has a chronic habit and he had been taking Valium and brandy," Mr Cornell said.

"He was in hospital because he had been seriously bitten by a dog in Llandrindod, and the hospital there did not have the facilities to deal with it.

"There is no suggestion he was abusive to staff there or to the paramedics, but the problem came when he was in Hereford."

Mr Cornell said Mills had made the journey to court on public transport, which showed he had some respect for others.

The case was adjourned for a pre-sentence report, but was later adjourned to a later date after Mills did not return to court in the afternoon.