A CHAPEL in Llangadfan could become a artists retreat under newly-submitted plans.

The proposals for an extension and internal alterations to be made to the 19th century Capel Pont Cadfan has been submitted to Powys County Council.

At the moment the chapel in the village outside Welshpool is vacant and is used for community gatherings.

The plans, submitted by Ms E Mills, who lives in the village, will expand the chapel from 85 to 107 square metres and be used for artists to work.

Pont Cadfan was a Wesleyan Methodist Chapel which was first opened in October 1823 in a barn. Before then, the cause had met in an empty house, according to the Welsh Government’s historic monument database Coflein.

The chapel was re-opened in December, 1842, after renovation work, which included new seating and internal refurbishment. In around 1876 the new chapel was built, and was officially opened on June 21 and 22.

The present 19th century structure now serves as an outbuilding – it has stone rubble walls, the south-west long wall with a centre round-headed window near eaves level. The north-west gable entry has a round-arched centre doorway with stone voussoirs and blocked fanlight.

A ridge of a much lower cross-wing of one storey and loft is attached to the former left hand corner: possibly former stables.

A slate plaque beneath the eaves, between two ventilators, has an inscription commencing: “Richard Mills in 1826.”