A Welshpool man who sexually groomed a child has been told by the boy's mother that he had "taken his childhood from him".

Christopher Gittins, 23, of Woodside, Welshpool, pleaded guilty to six counts of engaging in sexual activity with a boy aged between 13 and 15.

He has been jailed for two years and nine months, as well as being made subject to a Sexual Harm Prevention Order.

The offences took place between November 14, 2018 and January 2019.

Sentencing Gittins at Carnaerfon Crown Court, which was sitting in Mold, judge Niclas Parry said it was a "shocking case of an abuse of position and trust".

John Philpotts, prosecuting, told the court that the offences began when the victim, who cannot be identified for legal reasons, was 13 years-old and Gittins was then 21.

Mr Philpotts described how the victim's mother alerted police in January 2019 when she went to use his phone, opened up Facebook Messenger, and saw messages of a sexual nature from Gittins.

The victim told the police that his relationship with Gittins had moved from friendship to intimacy towards the end of 2018, that Gittins said he had feelings for him knowing that he was then 13, and they had their first sexual encounter in November of that year.

There were five other sexual encounters, taking place at various locations including at a school and public toilets, up until early January 2019.

Mr Philpotts said that at Christmas 2018, the victim no longer wanted this activity to continue but Gittins had messaged him persistently.

The victim read out a personal statement in court in which he said "this has permanently scarred me".

A personal statement was also read out by the victim's mother, which said: "You took my son's childhood from him.

"You groomed and abused him, made him feel like you loved him and everything would be okay.

"You've made me question every decision I've ever made as a mother.

"You completely broke us for a while, but not forever. My son is a survivor, not a victim."

Barrister John Hedgecoe, defending, pointed out the long delay in the case had been hanging over Gittins for more than a year as he was arrested in January 2019, but did not appear in the magistrates court until March of this year.

He said Gittins had no previous convictions and had "indicated remorse, and accepted responsibility throughout".

Jailing Gittins, judge Niclas Parry said: "This is a shocking case of an abuse of position and trust.

"What you did was to groom him, making him believe that he was special. You would buy him gifts.

"You clearly knew what you were intending was illegal. He was 13 and you were 21, a sexually mature adult.

"For a very short time you repeatedly sexually abused him for your gratification."

He added: "Above all, it has had a damaging affect on the victim's education, and the impact on his family and mother is significant. No blame falls at her door."