A man with severe learning difficulties died after choking on food in the night, an inquest heard.

Gareth Rees, 59, was found unresponsive by his support worker at his Machynlleth home of 20 years on July 27, 2019. An inquest held on Tuesday, March 3, heard that Mr Rees had got out of bed before his carer woke up and took ham from the fridge.

In a written statement read out at the inquest in Welshpool Town Hall, Mr Rees’ carer, Zoe Parnell, said she found him slumped in the bathroom on the Tuesday morning. She said she “tried her best” to resuscitate Mr Rees before the paramedics arrived at the property, but he was pronounced dead at 8.08am.

Ms Parnell said he was his “usual self” when he went to bed on the Monday evening. She said that there was “no disturbance” during the night.

Assistant coroner Ian Boyes concluded that Mr Rees died from natural causes.