DICKY Morris was born in Newtown on the opening day of 1879 and destined to enjoy an action packed life and football career.

Like so many of his generation his life would be dominated by war though Morris was destined for fame and glory.

Morris worked at the town’s Royal Welsh Warehouse and represented the club before enlisting in the army where he fought in the Boer War in South Africa between 1899 and 1902.

Upon his return home Morris joined Newtown Football Club and soon received his first cap for Wales, losing 3-0 to Ireland in Cardiff.

Morris departed for Druids soon after with the Ruabon club among the giants of Welsh football.

Such was Morris’ popularity his Newtown team-mates sent him a gold medal and watch chain as ‘a token of esteem and regret at his leaving their district.’

Morris continued to earn caps for Wales and his performances for club and country soon earned a move to Liverpool.

Morris spent the next four years at Anfield, joining fellow Mid Walian Maurice Parry at the Merseyside giants and earning himself a reputation as ‘a chief exponent of the forward game’ before joining Leeds City in 1905.

Although Morris only scored five times in his 38 appearances for Liverpool, two of them earned a draw in the Merseyside derby in October 1903.

Morris was often criticised for wasting good scoring opportunities, but also noted as “one of the trickiest players who ever kicked a ball. He is too clever, too fond of arguing I believe is the expression now current,” noted the joint Everton/Liverpool programme in 1904.

He was furthermore described as a “tireless runner and top speed dribbler.”

Following a season at Leeds City the forward enjoyed spells at Grimsby Town, Plymouth Argyle and Huddersfield Town before retiring 1909 having earned 11 caps and scored one goal during his international career.

Morris returned to his home town of Newtown and represented the Royal Welsh Warehouse club in 1910/11 before bringing down the curtain on his career at Merthyr Tydfil the following season.