A MID Wales man involved in two incidents of violence was jailed for two years at Mold Crown Court on Friday, January 10.

There was loud crying from the public gallery when Jamie Lee Thomas Jones - said to get an adrenaline rush from fighting - was sentenced.

Jones, 29, the father of a young baby who had recently set up his own business, admitted two charges of wounding at an earlier hearing when he was due to go on trial.

The defendant, of Swallow Drive, in Newtown, was told by Judge Niclas Parry that there had been unacceptable delays in the case.

But he said that clearly the time had come for him to receive a custodial sentence "that will provide the public with a measure of protection."

Prosecuting barrister Simon Mills said that the incidents occurred on one night in September 2017, going into the early hours of the following morning.

He had struck two young men over the head with weapons at separate locations - the first with a wheel brace and the second with a bottle.

Both victims had been left with scars to the head.

The first incident occurred at The Back Lane car park in Newtown where a large group arrived from the Penybont area, celebrating an 18th birthday, in two mini buses.

Unfortunately, he said there were a group of Newtown young men, described as "boy racers", in the car park.

An argument broke out and one of the Penybont group was punched, but not by the defendant.

Someone from the Penybont group got a fire extinguisher from a mini bus and sprayed one of the Newtown cars.

That, the prosecutor said, led to the defendant getting a heavy car jack out of his car and he struck a blow to the head of one of the other group.

Mr Mills said that in the aftermath of that, the defendant "was clearly still fired up", was seen to tear off his jacket and thrown it to the ground and there had been some pushing and shoving at a local pub.

He then went to the Castle Vaults pub, walked down the dance floor and made an unpleasant gesture towards someone wearing rabbit ears.

Jones then moved to a group where there was a discussion before he delivered a single blow with a bottle to a young man's head.

Defending barrister John Hedgecoe said that it was "quite extraordinary" that the case had taken two years to come to court.

His client had trained as a chef. He and his partner had a young baby and he had started his own business.

Mr Hedgecoe urged a suspended sentence in the circumstances.

It was his case that in the pub the other man had lunged forward.

Judge Parry told Jones that in a previous pre-sentence report the defendant had said that he got "an adrenaline rush from fighting".

"It appears to me that is born out by the fact that you appear to be someone that has a liking for violence and you are ready to use weapons," the judge said. "The consequences of that is that people get hurt."

One had received a significant cut to his forehead which required numerous stitches and it had left him scarred.

The other had required seven stitches to a cut near his eye brow and another small cut.

They had been caused by Jones using weapons, a wheel brace and a bottle.

Judge Parry said that mercifully the injuries were not as serious as they could have been.

"Clearly, the time has come for you to receive a custodial sentence that will provide the public with a measure of protection," he said.

The judge said that he took into account that there had been evidential difficulties in the case but the defendant had pleaded guilty on the day of his intended trial.

"I bear in mind that there has been an unacceptable delay in bringing this matter to court.

"You contributed to that yourself by denying the matter."

The judge said that the case should have been dealt with a lot earlier and in the time that had passed Jones had taken some positive steps although he had also committed a further serious offence of violence.

Judge Parry imposed a two year sentence and a 14 month sentence to be served concurrently - but he rejected a suggestion that it be suspended.

"That must be served immediately," he ruled.