A MID Wales man who admitted assaulting his wife on three separate occasions has escaped immediate custody.

Martyn Pryce, now of Churchstoke, but previously from Welshpool, was told by a judge that he had "irrational feelings of male privilege".

A pre-sentence report said he had feelings of entitlement as far as his wife was concerned, and regarded her as inferior.

He admitted two charges of assault occasioning actual bodily harm and one GBH (grievous bodily harm) charge.

Mold Crown Court heard that on one occasion he threw a table at her and broke her wrist.

On another occasion he threw an ashtray at her causing a cut near her eye.

Then the prosecution claimed that after a wedding her punched her - but his case was that he had pushed her.

She fell onto a radiator and was in excruciating pain.

Prosecutor James Coutts said that the first incident was back in October 2015 when she had to wake him up to let him into a flat.

He threw an ashtray at her which caused blood to run down her eye. The defendant commented that he had a good shot.

She left the flat, spoke to police but lied about how it happened and was taken to hospital.

In February of last year there had been an argument and she picked up a small table. He took it off her and threw it at her, she put her hands out to protect herself and it hit her to the face and wrists. Her wrist was broken and was placed in a plaster cast.

She left him for three months but then returned and the relationship continued.

On July 7 this year both had been to a wedding, they were staying overnight and both had been drinking significant amounts of alcohol.

He went to bed, she did not have a key to the room and had to wake him up, he made some sarcastic comments and refused to turn the light on.

As she got undressed the prosecution alleged that he punched her to the jaw causing her to lose balance and fall back against a radiator. She had pain down the side of her body, went to sleep but was having difficulty breathing when she woke up and he told her it was her own fault for aggravating him.

The defendant, who denied a punch and said it was a push, did later apologise for hurting her and accompanied her to hospital. The victim initially told staff she had fallen over but when alone with a doctor told the truth.

She had bruising and a suspected broken rib.

A friend who was concerned about her approached the police.

In a victim impact statement she told how she did not feel safe at home and had moved in with her father.

Pryce, 48, now of Churchstoke, Montgomery, received a two year prison sentence but it was suspended for two years.

He was placed on rehabilitation and sent on a "building better relationships" programme run by the probation service.

The defendant was ordered to pay his now estranged wife £1,000 compensation and £500 costs to the prosecution.

A five year restraining order was made not to approach her or enter the former matrimonial home in Welshpool.

Judge Parry said that for a period of four years he had used violence against his wife.

"You did that because you viewed her as inferior," the judge told him.

His attitude was that he did not care - that it was about her moaning.

But it was repeated offending against the same victim in a domestic setting.

However the judge said that he had pleaded guilty, his previous convictions were old, he had acted out of character, and he was a man who contributed to society. He had an insight into the significant emotional harm he had caused and the judge said he accepted he acted impulsively.

A suspended sentence under which he would be placed on rehabilitation would provide greater protection for the public, for female partners in particular, he said.

He took into account his family support and employment history.

Defending barrister Andrew Green said that it had been a toxic relationship which led to the defendant acting out of character.

He was in a serious position because two of the offences involved weapons - a table and an ashtray - and the case did cross the custody threshold. His client had brought his bag with him into the dock ready for a prison sentence.

They were three deeply regrettable events during the course of the marriage.

He accepted responsibility, did not seek to minimise what he had done and was emotional and tearful throughout much of his probation interview.

The defendant recognised the need to address his behaviour and had expressed remorse for the injuries that he caused.

He was a working man who worked shifts with a joinery firm and a reference spoke of him in glowing terms.

Mr Green suggested a suspended sentence.