The family of Sheila Davies, who passed away in February this year, have paid tribute to her after an inquest was held into her death; which took place just a week after what would have been her 45th birthday.

Sheila lived in Llanbadarn Fynydd with her partner of 20 years Darrell Watson, and her three children: Janie, Adam and Troy. She was someone who “everyone knew” in the village. “She’s left a gap in the community. A massive gap,” her family said.

Whenever anyone needed help for support, Sheila was there. “She was willing to engage with and help anyone, and she got involved with anything she could,” added her family. “She was a born organiser.”

Sheila worked at Llandrindod Wells Hospital as a senior clinical coder for over 20 years. Her family said that she “took pride in her job”, and was well respected.

Around 500 people attended her funeral. Many people had made wreaths and left flowers, and the sheer number of people in attendance showed just how loved and well known she was in Llanbadarn Fynydd and beyond.

Her family would like to thank everyone who attended the service, and for all the support and kind messages they have received.

They added: “We will miss her terribly. No words can say how much we miss her. She was loved by all her family.”

The inquest into Sheila Davies’ death took place in Welshpool on Friday, July 12. It heard how the 44-year-old had attended a darts competition on the evening of February 8, at The New Inn, in Llanbadarn Fynydd, which she helped to organise. The following morning, her family realised that she had not returned home, and her body was later found in the River Ithon.

The assistant coroner for South Wales Central, Ian Boyes, explained that there were multiple conclusions in play. He was able to rule out that she took her own life and said that an accidental verdict appeared to be the “most apt”. However, there was no way of knowing how Sheila ended up in the river, which led to Mr Boyes giving an ‘open’ conclusion; which is given when there is not enough evidence to return another verdict.