It is unclear why Malcolm 'Mac' Williams, whose body was found in the River Wye, after being missing for three weeks, came to his death, an inquest heard.

Dilwyn Malcolm Williams, 61, of Newbridge-on-Wye, was reported missing on October 16, 2018. An extensive search then took place and on November 8, police were contacted by a member of the public who had found a body in the river near Newbridge-on-Wye, which was identified as being Mr Williams.

The inquest heard of relationship difficulties with his partner, who gave evidence to the court, and of his health problems, before the coroner recorded an open verdict.

Items of clothing belonging to Mr Williams were also found on the side of the river, the court heard.

A doctor from the Royal Shrewsbury Hospital identified the body as belonging to Mr Williams by using dental records, the inquest heard. The conclusion was that Mr Williams had died from drowning.

Mr Williams' partner, Mike Sieradski, told the court that when going on a trip Sweden for four days, before Mr Williams' disappeared, he was "really concerned" about Mr Williams' wellbeing, the coroner heard.

He told the court that Mr Williams had suffered from stomach and back pain and that "physically he was not right". When asked by the coroner about his mental health, Mr Sieradski said: "He looked depressed and down.

"When he was in his 20s he was thinking about taking his own life."

Not long before Mr Williams went missing, he had proposed to his partner Mr Sieradski, the court heard.

On the day Mr Williams disappeared, a friend of the couple came to visit and Mr Sieradski thought it was a "bit strange" that he didn't want to stay in the kitchen to see him. "He was like a different person," the court heard.

There was then an argument between the couple and Mr Williams said their relationship was over, the court heard.

The last thing Mr Sieradski heard his partner say was towards his friend, in his presence: "Don't believe everything he says. Cheerio." This was corroborated by their friend, Christopher Lewis, when he gave evidence to the court.

The court heard that police raised the case to a high risk missing person case once Sgt Gareth Wheatland become aware of Mr Williams' health problems.

The police found items belonging to Mr Williams by the river bank, the court heard.

Sgt Wheatland also told the court that police had found letters in the house from Mr Sieradski where he terminated his lodging and employment with Mr Williams.

The coroner, Andrew Barkley, said the court had no evidence of what happened to Mr Williams after he disappeared. "There's simply nothing to explain what happened," he said.

A verdict of suicide was considered but the evidence did not meet the required standards and does not explain how he ended up in the river, Mr Barkley told the court.

With the "absence of satisfactory evidence", the coroner said he had "little choice" but to leave an open verdict.