A MID Wales man who admitted assaulting his disabled partner while she was holding a child on Boxing Day received a suspended prison sentence on Wednesday (January 2).

Wayne Daniel Sarsons, 36, at the time of Prince of Wales Drive, Welshpool, was also made the subject of a four year restraining order not to approach the victim.

He appeared from custody at North East Wales Magistrates’ Court at Mold and after he last week pleaded guilty to assaulting his partner and damaging her silver necklace following an incident on Boxing Day.

Prosecutor Justin Espie said that the defendant had assaulted his partner while holding a child.

He said that the victim was vulnerable in that she suffered ill-health, was disabled, the defendant was her carer and she was holding a child at the time of the assault.

They had returned home, an argument developed, and the defendant grabbed her around the throat and her breathing was restricted.

He also punched her to the mouth with a clenched fist.

She was found to have a cut to the lower lip, was bleeding around the mouth and her throat was red.

In a victim impact statement she told how she was terrified of what he would do next.

She wanted a restraining order so that he could not come anywhere near her, she said.

The victim said that he was unpredictable.

He knew that she suffered from a chronic pain disease and she had a flare up after being assaulted.

To hit a disabled person, whether he was drunk or not, was unacceptable, she explained.

She was not going to put up with it and he deserved to go to jail, she said.

The victim also told how he had contacted her once he got to prison but she screamed at him and put the phone down.

Defending solicitor Euros Jones said the couple had been together five years, there had been arguments in recent times but he had not used violence towards her before.

Sarson was not a man who normally drank.

That day both had been out and had a drink, and he accepted that he was drunk.

His recollection was a bit hazy and it would not have happened but for the alcohol.

But he accepted responsibility for what he had done and was full of remorse.

He now accepted that he would be unable to return home, as he had hoped to do so, but a friend had offered him an address in Oldford Rise, Welshpool.

District Judge Gwyn Jones said that he had assaulted his vulnerable partner.

She was vulnerable because of her physical condition and because of the trust she had in him.

But he had “shattered that trust,” he said.

Immediate custody was more than justified but in the circumstances a 20 week prison sentence would be suspended for 18 months and he would be placed on rehabilitation.

He also ordered to pay £200 in compensation with £85 costs and a £115 surcharge.