A MAN has been jailed for 27 years after being found guilty of murdering a roadside diner owner in his restaurant.

Satnam Singh Blugher, 67, was found with stab wounds at Tony’s Diner on the A458 between Welshpool and Shrewsbury road at Halfway House on June 26, last year.

Belkar Singh, aged 58, from Booth Street, Handsworth, Birmingham, was found guilty following a trial at Stafford Crown Court.

Mr Blugher was found dead inside the diner he ran in Halfway House by a relative.

A large quantity of money was also found to be missing.

A post-mortem examination revealed his cause of death to be from multiple injuries.

The following day, Singh – who worked for Mr Blugher – was arrested in Handsworth on suspicion of his murder.

Singh was found to be in possession of cash in excess of £47,000, gold jewellery and a mobile phone, which all belonged to Mr Blugher.

Singh was charged with murder on June 30 and appeared at Telford Magistrates’ Court on the same day.

He was remanded in custody and later pleaded not guilty, and on December 11 the trial began.

The illegal immigrant was found guilty by a jury in an unanimous verdict following a six-week trial at Stafford Crown Court. and Judge Michael Chambers said that it was a “premeditated, planned murder for gain.”

After sentencing, Detective Inspector Mark Bellamy of the Major Incident Unit based at Malinsgate Police Station said: “Belkar Singh has been brought to justice for his actions.

“However, Mr Blugher’s family will spend the rest of their lives coming to terms with the loss of a much-loved father and grandfather and my thoughts are with them at what continues to be an exceptionally difficult and distressing time.

“They have supported the investigation throughout and I would like to thank them for their support and dignity throughout the process.

“Although nothing will bring Satnam back to his family and friends, I hope that today’s outcome brings them at least a small sense that justice has been done.

“Satnam ran his business in Halfway House for some 15 years, during which time he made many friends in the local community.

“Many people were shocked and appalled when news of his death was announced in the summer. I would like to thank those who came forward to support our investigation by providing information and statements.

“Finally I’d like to thank all of the officers and staff working on this investigation for their hard work and determination throughout, in order to bring the case to court.

“Crimes of this nature are tare within our policing areas, this sentence highlights the complexity of the six-month investigation which took place in order to bring this offender to justice.”