Saints held up by bogey team


Gavin Grosvenor

Dafabet Welsh Premier

The New Saints 0

Gap Connahs Quay 0


THE New Saints missed the chance of extending their lead at the top of the table after being held to a goalless draw by Gap Connah’s Quay at Park Hall on Friday night.

Craig Harrison’s side went into the game in good heart after winning theWord Cup the previous weekend and keen to avenge their first defeat of the season in the league at the Deeside Stadium the week before.

However, despite having the better of the possession, they were unable to find a way through a resolute Nomads defence.

There were very few serious clear cut chances for either side but a half chance came Saints’ way in the sixth minute when Kai Edwards sent his right foot shot from 25 yards wide of the post.

Then at the same end in the 35th minute, Chris Seargeant’s chip into the box found Mike Wilde who went down under a challenge from Danny Harrison in the box only for referee Mark Petch to ignore appeals for a penalty.

The first chance of note in the second-half came Saints’ way in the 51st minute when Seargeant’s right foot shot from outside the box saw Nomads keeper John Danby make a flying save to his right.

Then in the 60th minute, good work by Connell Rawlinson and Seargeant released Adrian Cieslewicz to fire past an advancing Danby only for the effort to be adjudged offside.

The Saints brought on Greg Draper for Matty Williams in the 80th minute as the hosts made a late bid for a winner.

However it was the Deesiders who went closest to snatching a winner when Les Davies had his low shot from the edge of the box held by goalkeeper Paul Harrison in the last real action of a tepid encounter.

TNS: Harrison, Spender, Marriott, K Edwards, Rawlinson, Seargeant, A Edwards, Cieslewicz (Quigley), Mu-llan (R Edwards), Williams (Draper), Wilde. Subs: Mullock, Baker, Pryce

See full story in the County Times

Leave your comment

Share your opinions on

Characters left: 1500

Most Read