Rovers survive Castle comeback to lift trophy


Gavin Grosvenor

Tanners Town Cup Final

Bishops Castle Town 2

Waterloo Rovers 3

WATERLOO Rovers were crowned Tanners Town Cup champions following a thrilling final against Bishops Castle Town at Latham Park on Saturday.

The battle between the champions of the first and second division of the Montgomeryshire League produced a fine advertisement for the Montgomeryshire League.

Rovers started brightly with Oliver Davies teed up by Luke Evans to test Castle goalkeeper Joe McKay while also firing wide inside the opening quarter.

Castle also came to threaten with Toby Siviter lobbing over the bar under pressure from an advancing Matthew McWhinnie while Jack Mellor also fired wide.

The experienced Martyn Ziemann headed over from close range before Castle were left stunned at the other end.

Chris Hughes curled a low 20 yard free-kick around Castle’s defensive wall and off the woodwork as Rovers celebrated breaking the deadlock on 35 minutes.

On the stroke of half-time Hughes doubled his tally with a close range header on the far post following an excellent right wing cross from Ryan Ellis.

Rovers started the second-half as they ended the first with Davies scuffing wide before seemingly putting the final beyond doubt on 55 minutes.

McKay denied Luke Evans’ initial shot but was unable to prevent the Rovers midfielder seizing on the loose ball to squeeze home from a tight angle.

Castle player-manager Dan Dawson immediately threw himself into the fray as the Shropshire side came into the game.

Rovers goalkeeper McWhinnie was tested from distance by Mellor before pushing Alex Jones’ 20 yard shot onto the bar.

However Castle were back in the game soon after with McWhinnie denying Sam Jones but unable to prevent Siviter pouncing on the loose ball from close range.

Castle were now dominated with Sam Naden heading over and McWhinnie coming to his side’s rescue to deny Ziemann in a goalmouth scramble.

However the pressure finally told as Siviter reduced the arrears with 10 minutes remaining to set up a tense finale.

Castle probed for an equaliser and threw everything into attack in a last ditch effort to salvage the game but all would be in vain as Rovers dug deep to lift the cup.

Rovers spokesman Dave Proctor said: “We are very pleased with the win as we had five players missing due to injury and no strikers on the pitch.

“The performance could have been better but the lads dug deep and gave everything. It's a a great end to the season winning the Town Cup to go with the league title.”

Castle spokesman Lee Davies said: “Credit to them they took their chances but we left ourselves with too much to do by conceding three goals even though we had more than enough chances to take it to extra time by the end.”

BISHOPS CASTLE: McKay, Owen, A Jones, Griffiths, Naden, J Mellor, S Jones, Ziemann, Siviter, Cintra, Mulloch. Subs: G Mellor, Dawson, Thomas, Phillips, Wainwright

WATERLOO: McWhinnie, C Proctor, Wolverson, M Jones, Roberts, S Holley, Ellis, Evans, James, Davies, Hughes. Subs: J Holley, Turner, Owen, M Proctor. 

Leave your comment

Share your opinions on

Characters left: 1500

Most Read