Spar Mid Wales Lge One

RHAYADER Town were crowned Spar Mid Wales League One champions despite slipping a 2-1 defeat at home to Berriew.

The Red Kites looked to settle their early nerves when Richie Powell was brought down in the area by goalkeeper Danny Foulkes during the opening minutes.

However Foulkes atoned with a splendid save to deny Tom Bethell from the penalty spot and Berriew proceeded to dominate the remainder of the half.

Rob Pritchard steered home Ross Harris’ header to break the deadlock before doubling their lead when Steffan Rogers and George Davies linked for Richard Davies to net.

Rhayader rang the changes at the interval and soon paid dividends with Ifan Burrell reducing the arrears early in the second-half.

Berriew were reduced to 10 men on the hour when Matt Mumford saw red for retaliating to a challenge from Burrell but despite their numerical advantage the Red Kites could not complete their fightback as the Rhiewsiders held out for victory.

However Rhayader Town will be crowned champions at Carno on Saturday after the Greens title bid ended in a 1-1 draw with Llandrindod Wells last weekend.

Andy Evans’ strike proved insufficient for Carno as a Robbie Nicholls goal ensured a point for the Spamen and end to their hosts championship dream.

Llanidloes Town completed a 4-3 win at Bow Street with a Joe Evans double and strikes from George Clarke and Rhys Evans just enough to seal victory as a Tom Williams brace and Tom Evans effort kept the hosts in the hunt.

Knighton Town strolled to a 5-0 win at Machynlleth with Connor Bird starring with a hat-trick.

Danny Ives and Sam Williams completed the Robins resounding final away day win despite their team being reduced to 10 men on the hour following Dewi Allen’s dismissal.

Marc Griffiths was also a hat-trick hero in Llanrhaeadr’s 4-1 win at home to Tywyn Bryncrug with Iwan Matthews completing the hosts tally while Mark Edmonson reduced the arrears.

Elsewhere Welshpool Town ended their campaign with a 1-1 draw at home to Central Wales Cup finalists, Aberaeron.

Ricky Litchfield steered home Will Pritchard’s 30th minute cross to give the hosts the lead with Ed Baker twice going close to adding to their tally.

However the visitors levelled through Mattie Davies with 15 minutes remaining and could have snuck a last gasp winner only to be denied by Ben Jenkins’ goalline clearance to deny Davies.