Huws Gray Alliance

Caersws 2

Holyhead Hotspur 4

CAERSWS twice hit back only for the league campaign to end with a whimper at home to Holyhead Hotspur.

The islanders were good value for their victory with the diminutive Mel McGuiness starring in their conquest.

McGuiness stretched the home defence throughout the first-half with his right wing cross deceiving home goalkeeper Luke Evans onto to be denied by the woodwork inside the opening 10 minutes.

However on 28 minutes the Bluebirds defence was left stranded as Jack Griffiths burst through from his own half before squaring for Brendan Hogan to slot home.

Caersws slowly came into the game and began to impose themselves having snatched at their scant early chances.

On 38 minutes a patient build-up culminated in player-manager Graham Evans drilling a low right wing cross into the path of Luke Evans to calmly steer past goalkeeper Paul Pritchard on the far post.

However the Bluebirds were still celebrating when Spurs broke from the re-start with Kenleigh Owen teeing up McGuiness to net from close range.

Caersws’ defence continued to creak as McGuiness lobbed just wide under pressure from Evans before Griffiths headed wide as Spurs ended the half on top.

Both sides went close in the opening exchanges of the second-half with Sean Evans firing inches over with a 20 yard free-kick while McGuiness fired wide for Spurs who looked to settle the outcome.

However the match will be remembered for some bizarre officiating which came to anger both benches and sets of supporters while both teams were left fuming after seeing their claims for a penalty denied.

Sean Evans’ stinging volley forced Pritchard into action before Caersws levelled with 20 minutes remaining with Evans’ low cross turned home by Graham Evans 

Once again Spurs sought an immediate response with Dean Garmey forcing Evans into action but eight minutes later Holyhead regained the lead.

Caersws’ defence was once again left rooted as Dewi Thomas broke and while his shot was saved by Evans the loose ball was steered into an empty net by Griffiths. 

It was a lead the islanders would not relinquish and with six minutes remaining a tired tackle in the area saw McGuiness brought down with Thomas sending Evans the wrong way from the penalty spot.

CAERSWS: L Evans, Parr, Hughes, Grant, Richards, G Evans, LK Evans, E Jones, P Jones, Collister, S Evans. Subs: Harries, Griffiths, Davies, Richards, McPhee