A MOTORCYCLE rider  came off his bike, struck a telegraph pole and died instantly from head and heart injuries, an inquest has heard.

Shaun Andrew Daniel, 49, of Stoke on Trent was riding to Machynlleth on September 25 with his twin brother Mark and friend Andrew Ridgeway, when the collision occurred on the A495 Llansantffraid to Meifod road.

Coroner Andrew Barkley said the inquest at Welshpool Magistrates Court on Friday had heard how Mr Daniel suffered catastrophic injuries that were not survivable.

Robert Whittle, who runs a farm just off the road where the accident occurred, said he heard the bikes coming as he went down  from his driveway, and he recalled hearing a screech of tyres and a bang.

On going to look at the road he saw a body and two other riders running towards the body shouting “Shaun”.

CPR was being performed by the riders when another witness to the incident who had stopped rang for an ambulance.

Joshua Jones, who was driving on the road towards Oswestry, saw a motorcycle rider coming towards him, slowing down and giving a slow warning signal. Mr Jones and another car had to swerve into the opposite carriageway to avoid Mr Daniel’s body. 

He recalled Mr Daniel was lying face down with his helmet on the side, and  a motorbike was in the hedge, smoking.

Mark Daniel, who was at the inquest, said in a statement that his twin brother was like a best friend to him and both had vast experience of motorcycle riding.

They were going to a cafe in Machynlleth and shortly before the incident, the brothers spoke over the intercoms they had between their bikes.

Mark said they had gone around a left bend, he looked in his mirror and his brother was off sliding away from his bike in the opposite carriageway.

Both he and Mr Ridegway went to his brother’s aid and reported he had blood coming from his head. They attempted CPR before the ambulance arrived.

On looking back towards where the collision occurred, Mark saw diesel in the road and he believes this was what caused his brother to come off his bike.

Shortly after the Air ambulance staff told him his brother had died.

PC Ian Pathak, of the collision investigation unit at Dyfed Powys Police, was in the inquest giving evidence on behalf of PC Jessop who compiled the accident scene report.

He said there was a groove on the road near the farm entrance and a black mark, possibly from Mr Daniel’s bike leathers.

He said there was an oily fluid in the road, but PC Pathak said this was after the collision and was from the clutch.

PC Pathak said the rider became unseated around 100 metres from the farm and then collided with a telegraph pole.

He also said the accident happened at around 10.30am and gave an explanation that the rider’s back wheel lost traction and then went back onto a normal surface causing a lack of stability, adding the incident was down to rider error.

However Mark Daniel challenged this at the inquest, saying his brother was not going fast enough for it to be rider error and he believed it was down to the diesel on the road.

Pathologist Joanna Kelly carried out the post mortem and said Mr Daniel had sustained a massive head injury, which was not survivable, and a ruptured aorta, which was also not survivable.

Mr Barkley said Mr Daniel hit the telegraph poll and suffered catastrophic injuries, extensive head and heart injuries which were not survivable.

He was satisfied that diesel on the road had not played a part in the collision and recorded a conclusion of multiple injuries caused by a road traffic collision.